double slip

I could do with adding a double slip to my DCC layout, I think these are insulfrog only? Any idea on how easy or not it is to wire in? I have heard some people avoid them at all costs, but why? We have them on our club layout that operates under DC or DCC. So, any tips?

Reply to
Piemanlarger

"Piemanlarger" wrote

There are Electrofrog versions available for Fine Scale code 75 track Simon.

It's all explained in detail on the instructions which are supplied with the points. If you can fit sound to a proprietory loco, you shouldn't have too much trouble with a double slip.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Hi John, The rest of the track work is code 100, do code 75 and 100 mix ok? I have wired in 3 way electrofrog points before but for DC operation. thanks

Simon

Reply to
Piemanlarger

"Piemanlarger" wrote

Not readily Simon, or at least I would avoid it.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

You lay them down and join the four matching tracks to them! No rail sections on them is switched.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

If you want to mix Code 75 with Code 100, do it on plain track. The Code 75 is lower than code 100 so you need to shim the code 75 track with suitable thickness card and you need the specific rail joiners. To do this while joining complex pointwork is asking for trouble!

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

I've got a couple of Peco double slips on my current dockside layout, which is DCC albeit only Bachmann driven at present. One of the slips is a recent product and is completely trouble free. The other is 20+ years old (salvaged from an old layout) and more troublesome - partly age, partly design. I'm running nothing larger than a Bachmann 45xx, even the smaller engines get across the new slip easily without pickup problems, Cheers, Bill.

Reply to
Bill Davies

I should add that this is code 100, the next layout won't be.... Cheers, Bill.

Reply to
Bill Davies

I had two doubleslips, Peco code 100, on a previous layout. I must admit, I wouldn't do the same again. They were generally ok, but whenever I had a derailment, it was usually on one or tother of the slips. I found 'Peaks' and Class 40's were particularly vulnerable. I wouldn't say to avoid them at all costs - but if you can get away with just using 'normal' points, I would do so.

Reply to
stormicer

wrote

There's one consistent point with your comments and that is the 1Co-Co1 wheel formation of the Peaks and Class 40s. It could of course be that there was a simple issue of the back-to-back settings on these, or even the actual design of these (similar) bogies.

I've used Peco double-slips in the past without any significant problems, although much like the real railway (at least here in the UK) I would do without them if at all possible.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I have just fitted a new DS - the first that I have used for about 30 years. All of my stock passes in all directions without complaint , but then at typical cautious speeds. Pecos injuctions are clear regarding b-b diamentions but they are quite generous. Most of my problems arise on simple double back to back turn out track changes using smaller than large radius, the worst being the curved points as most of the longer wheel base locos dislike the smaller radius.On the whole I find the track holding much better than in the 60's & 70's but like in computing , crap in = crap out so the rolling stock which gives most trouble is the stuff of which I have said " I must do something about that!" As most of my stuff comes from ebay ( I do buy the odd new bargain), it is inevitable that even the most highly rated stuff is in fact someones reject. The best stuff all has a provenance from a regular ebay dealer in models, the worst from "dealers" who manage to check and run locomotives which lack wheels, wiring and brushes or have found these thingies in daddies attic!

Peter A

Montarlot

Reply to
peter abraham

Reply to
peter abraham

I have now re-laid my layout, which is now perfectly flat, running on a 4mm cork trackbed, and since relaying the only place I have had any trouble, both with derailments and locos stalling, is on a doubleslip that I purchased 2nd hand from ebay. Peco code 100, insulfrog.

The double slip is in good very condition and the rails are clean, but all the small locos regularly stall and my Bachmann Crab regularly derails whilst crossing it.

After reading this thread I decided to buy a new double slip (thanks John), and I fitted it this morning. The first thing I noticed is that the new double slip is different to the old. The point levers are in a different position (meant drilling new holes in the baseboards) and the rails have a slightly different configuration.

Now fitted I tried all my locos at various speeds across the double slip, not one loco stalled including Percy (0-4-0) and Thomas (0-6-0) and both Bachmann class 08s which would all stall on the old set. Not one derailment either, even when I sent the Crab over them at a scale speed of about 250 mph :o) .

If you have problems with a double slip, I would suggest you replace it with a modern rehashed version, as there is a definite improvement in the configuration of the current version.

Eddie.

Reply to
Eddie Bray

Thanks Eddie,

That is just what I hoped to hear - I have bad memories of a very troublesome double slip on a layout some years ago, and was more than a little concerned that my track plan really needed one. I will visit my local model shop this weekend with confidence! :-)

Rgds, Ian.

Reply to
Ian H

Don't let them sell you old stock!!!! ;-)

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

In message , Eddie Bray writes

Easy to say buyer beware and that you purchased a pile of rubbish, however I have bought loads of Fleischmann Piccolo electrified points, including three double slips from the lads on Ebay and have never had any sort of problem whatsoever [yet].

On our main layout we have had lots [and I do mean lots] of problems with Peco code 00-Gauge 100 double slips. Even modified and with additional feeds they can be a real pain.

Have you any idea when the configuration changed? We have new boxed sets that were purchased last year and if the newer version is a later design we will get Peco to change them.

Cheers.

Reply to
Roy

"Roy" wrote

I've also bought loads of stuff on eBay and had no real problems. The secret is to read the seller's description really carefully and if you're unclear about anything use the 'Ask Seller a Question' facility - if you get a satisfactory response then bid away, if not there will be another similar item coming along shortly.

Patience (and perhaps a little caution) is the key with eBay; but I use it to source items that are not otherwise readily availble rather than looking to save a few pennies (or pounds) on prices.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I did say that the double slip was in very good condition, both physically, electrically and cosmetically but after laying I had numerous problems.

I do not know when the configuration changed, only that the set I bought last week from John Turner had to be ordered directly from Peco as he did not have any in stock, were different to the set I removed from the layout, and after fitting, I tested every Loco I own across the slip at various speeds and not one stalled or derailled.

Locos tested were:-

Bachmann Percy 0-4-0 Hornby Thomas 0-6-0 Bachmann Class 08 Dcc Ready D3038 0-6-0 Bachmann Class 08 Previous D3338 0-6-0 Bachman Standard 5MT 4-6-0 Bachmann Standard 4MT Tank x2 2-6-4 Bachmann LMS Crab 2-6-0 Always derailled on old set. Bachmann Class 40 iCo-Coi Bachmann 45xx 2-6-2 Prairie Heljan Class 52 Western 1010 Co-Co

Did not try the Hornby "Hogwarts Castle" or 25 year old Hornby Class 47 as I have given up with both of these as they just run crap regardless of the track or system.

Eddie.

Reply to
Eddie Bray