modern coupling types

Are these wagon types screw coupled on the following?

TTA V Tanker Seacow MFA SAA TEA MEA HEA Intermodal VGA BRA

While the following are buckeye only? HTA

Are any duel coupled? BRA?

Reply to
Piemanlager

It's either the BRA or BYA (or maybe even both!) that has swinghead buckeyes (and buffers). I can't remember which, but the traffic for one of the above two wagons had virtually disappeared and they often got used as barrier wagons between rakes of HTA's and 60's or non-buckeye fitted (EWS) 66's (I think they've all been converted now.)

HTA's are fixed buckeye only, but all have holes drilled in the headstock to allow for fitting of buffers (and presumably could be fitted with "link" couplings if ever required)

Note that some (possibly most) of the upper list of wagons are fitted with "Instanter" type 3 link couplings - the HEA and MEA's certainly are. It's likely that the V-tanks are also Instanter fitted as our local cement PCA's (non-V tank) were.

Talking of dual coupled - MCA are fitted with swinghead buckeyes and buffers, whilst the MDA is the same wagon but with a fixed buckeye and no buffers. These wagons tend to run as short "fixed" rakes of MCA/MDA/MDA/MDA/MCA.

There was an amusing story of a 66 plus HTA's that failed on the WCML north of Preston. The following train was a 60 hauled HAA/HDA rake. The plan was to use the 60 to push the HTA's to the next loop, but the signalman (a friend of mine) realised that there may be a bit of a problem in this, so the 60 left it's train in the loop and then ran wrong line to get round to the front of the 66. Causing serious delays in the process.

Cheers, Mick

Reply to
Mick Bryan