Motorising a turntable

Dear all
Has anyone had any luck motorizing the OO Peco turntable?
Care to share? its driving me up the wall!! I'm trying to use a "meccano"
type motor with gears, and it sucks...
Rob
Reply to
Rob Kemp
I haven't specifically motorized the Peco OO TT but had three tries with a home made TT of similar size before I was satisfied! In the end I used decent bearings, a plywood disk mounted below the TT on the same shaft and an old loco chassis (Triang) pivoted vertically on one axle hole with a silicon rubber tube in place of the driving wheel and a spring to push the the rubber "tyre" against the plywood disk.
Mk 2 was a Como motor/reduction box mounted on the baseboard frame driving a meccano shaft with a "coupling" consisting of a flat wheel/foam rubber block/flat wheel to a Meccano shaft on the TT. Mounting the motor/gearbox on the baseboard framing avoids the TT pit and the baseboard surface becoming vibration amplifiers. It worked quite well but there was no provision for indexing.
Mk 1 had the motor in the TT bridge and was so noisy I wasn't allowed to use it when the children were in bed or when Coronation St was on.
Regards, Greg.P.
Rob Kemp wrote:
Reply to
Greg Procter
"Greg Procter" wrote in
Mk 1 had the motor in the TT bridge and was so noisy I wasn't allowed to use it when the children were in bed or when Coronation St was on.
So your life revolved around the Turn Table, while the wife's revolved around Corrie ?
I know what and where I'd rather be !
Andy
Reply to
Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept.
"Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept."
Or perhaps the Coronation revolved around on the turntable....
Cheers, Steve
Reply to
Steve W
The message from "Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept." contains these words:
Frizinghall Models in Bradford make motorising kits - I have one and very good, apart from noise.
Colin Reeves
The message from Greg Procter contains these words:
You're showing excessive knowledge of a TV soap. Not a good trait in a decent railway modeller. (I had to ask the wife what the Rovers Return might signify - she wasn't surprised that I didn't know.)
Reply to
David Jackson
There is a print of two old Manchester trams on the wall of the Rovers. Roy Cropper, who runs the cafe Roy's Rolls on Corrie, is an avid railway enthusiast, and the cafe is festooned with all sorts of railwayana.
Reply to
MartinS
The message from MartinS contains these words:
You're not going to convince me that watching a soap is more interesting than the railway!
Ever. (Or should that really be "never"? )
Reply to
David Jackson
Ooh, I dunno... there was the time that the train fell off the bridge over the street, resulting in the writing-out of a number of established characters. Now, that's a useful prototype situation for any decent model railway...
Cheers, Steve
Reply to
Steve W
The message from "Steve W" contains these words:
They do say that there's a prototype for everything, but I don't think fictional prototypes really count! ;-)
Reply to
David Jackson
Actually, it only wiped out a couple of minor characters. Ena Sharples was trapped under the rubble, but miraculously survived. Thanks to new computer-enhancement technology, the viaduct that was condemned as unsafe in 1966 now carries Metrolink trams.
Now, as for the aircraft crash on Emmerdale...
Reply to
MartinS
I'm not trying to convince anyone! Just that one of the characters is a railway nut, which adds a bit of interest for viewers who are railfans.
Reply to
MartinS

Site Timeline