Peco Jubilee locomotive

Hi all,

The other day it was mentioned that the Peco Jubilee loco was "probably" one of the "best" locos in N gauge ever produced. Well there's one up for grabs on e-bay ( Item number: 6004176557 if the link below fails)

I'm not connected in any way with the auction, just thought that it might be of interest given how rare these are ?

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm

Well done Malcolm, that will probably inflate the selling price beyond beleif...

Brian Seamens

"Brian Seamens" wrote

Well in that case I hope the buyer is able to make it run smoothly in forward direction. If it's one of the early ones where the loco driving wheels are geared together, it's poor running is probably symptomatic of worn gears.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Wasn't my intention, and I'm sure posting a link on this NG won't impact the price that much ??

Just seemed strange that days after someone mentioned how rare these were one pops up on e-bay !

Malcolm

Brian Seamens wrote:

Reply to
Malcolm

Hmm, just looks like a typical day at the auctions to me! The seller has got two for sale, one only runs in reverse, one doesn't run at all. Just like the car auctions down by Wandsworth Bridge.

The market leader is from another seller at £36, and appears to run in both directions - well, it is described as track-tested. Of course, that doesn't mean it passed the test!

Another one is coming up at £19.99 boxed, and has never been run at all, just tested! Just has no number transfers.

So, all in all, not what I would call particularly rare, just scarce.

Even if there are 4 for sale today, and 5 or more bidders just *have* to have one *now*, then there will still be another one along later.

It is a nice model, even taking on board John's cautionary notes. I'm sorely tempted, just for the hell of it...

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Steve W

The message from "Steve W" contains these words:

Go for it. I've got two, they run beautifully, no problem with my standard 10-coach trains even when mail vans and milk tanks are added.

Reply to
David Jackson

"David Jackson" wrote

Good ones are superb, just try to avoid the very early ones where the loco drivers are gear linked.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Or replace the chassis :-) (bottom of the page)

Of the Jubilee's I've seen still on original chassis, the ones without gear-linking are fine, though the tender drives do sometimes wear out. There ought to be a suitable motor somewhere which would fit, though I've not experimented with anything yet.

If you find one which is mechanically sound, but the body has been abused, there are still spares from Peco.

Coincidentally, the subject of "decent N steam locos" came up on the 2mm Scale mailing list the other day. The new Dapol 45xx got an honourable mention for the body mouldings, but let down by having the chassis lifting the footplate more than 1mm above correct height. The Jubilee still seemed the best by common consent.

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe