Dapol class 73.

I heard an interesting conversation on the Dapol stand at the Bristol show this evening. Some guy made a slightly humorous comment about the lack of a banger blue class 73 (I immediately thought of Steve Jones website when I heard this) and the guy representing Dapol basically slagged off the buying public for continously asking not only for one in that livery, but also for asking for a large logo with no numbers one.

So, errr, they're getting continously asked for two specific liveries, but the public are wrong for asking for them and they're going to do other liveries instead?

It seems like a slightly odd way of doing business to me.

Anyways, I bought one of their 4mm watertower kits while I was there. I haven't made up one of those since I was in school. luvvly jubbly... talk about reliving my childhood.

Pete

Reply to
mutley

This is what I am "waitng" for. With no headlight. From the above it seems I might be waiting some time :o(

Reply to
Feebo

I was a bit miffed at the choice of EWS and SWT as the two initial liveries, and waited for the large logo version before I bought one. (I did want the Intercity one, but their grey looks a little on the light side to me).

They've got some without headlight (I bought one last week with no headlight - just the illuminated two digit headcode), and an un-numbered large logo version is in the list of liveries available. True, I can't find an original corporate blue one listed anywhere, but I'd have thought that that would be an obvious choice, particularly as they've already got all the relevant colours together in the Large Logo model...

James Moody

Reply to
James Moody

Yes, an obvious choice to everyone except Dapol it would seem. For some bizarre reason they seem determined to not produce the model in the livery that it was wearing for the majority of it's productive life. I wonder if it's because they think modellers only buy locos in bright multi-coloured liveries?

Did this Dapol guy also mentioned the fact that they have been disappointed with the sales of the 73 and if he thinks that may be related to the lack of a version in Rail Blue?

Fred X

Fred X

Reply to
Fred X

"Fred X" wrote

disappointed

I think it was a pretty bizarre choice of prototype - they really only ever worked in a confined part of the SE of England - hardly the sort of loco which would sell in very large quantities.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Beg to differ on this one - Dapol have just released the 73 in Large Logo Blue both as 73138 and an un-numbered version and are, indeed, planning to do the 73 in blue, both Rail Blue and the 60's version with small yellow panel and grey band. They are planning to do the Rail Blue version in both numbered and un-numbered(with decals) variants.

Matt Richter recently posted to the N Gauge Yahoo Group asking members to indicate which blue version they would like to see first by mailing snipped-for-privacy@dapol.co.uk - send them a mail!

From my experience, Dapol have been more than willing to listen to the customer, as has been indicated by the shortening of the couplings on the

73s and blackening of the wheels on the 14xx and 45xx kettles.

Certainly beats Farish , with their slipping delivery schedules, poor website and total inability to produce locos in the colour schemes that people will buy (e.g. Maroon class 50 and Red 33...yuck).

As for the 73 being an odd choice of prototype - I agree that it was a brave choice for a first foray into N, but what a corking little loco! I model the ECML in the 80s but can see a Pullman 73 (and possible a blue one) making an appearance. I think an awful lot of N Gaugers will be doing the same.

(OK, I do have a SLIGHTLY vested interest, as I produce a lot of SR EMU conversions in N - just the thing to drag behing 73109, for example :-))

I gather there is more MI in the pipeline and there may well be an announcement at the N Gauge Society AGM at the end of the month!

Adam Warr

Adam

In message , John Turner writes

I might have bought a couple, as long as they were in green and a bit bigger (i.e. OO scale)

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

"John Turner" wrote I think it was a pretty bizarre choice of prototype - they really only ever worked in a confined part of the SE of England - hardly the sort of loco which would sell in very large quantities.

John.

Hmm, And the southern Sector of the Churnet Valley Railway! Seems we are having all things southern lately after our fling with everything Green Wet and Rusty of Pete Watermans...

(We have 73 110 in working order just incase you wonder - Why in the middle of Staffordshire? I could not say?)

Reply to
Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept.

Pete, Was this the general opinion of all of the Dapol team, or just one individual that probably things that the public only want GWR locos and nothing from any other region? Can we have some more Eastern items, even if the line east is drawn at LNWR?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept.

-- Rod (showing his age)

Reply to
Rod Furey

Or the shopkeeper who, when asked for an item, said "You're the umpteenth person I've told today - I don't stock it because there's no demand for it".

Reply to
Bruce Fletcher

"Bruce Fletcher" wrote

I've heard that one before. If we get asked for something more than twice in a giev period we seriously consider whether we should stock the item.

Amazing though how often you can be asked for something a couple of times in a few days and then never again!

John.

Reply to
John Turner

The message from "John Turner" contains these words:

Word gets round... "Don't ask 'im, 'e don't stock it.".

Reply to
David Jackson

sod's law innit

Reply to
Feebo

John,

I once got told by a storekeeper in the company I worked for that I couldn't have the last one of a specific item on his shelf in case some needed it :-)

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

Well I presume they chose it because no one else had produced an RTR model of it, it has appeared in a lot of liveries and has hauled all types of trains. I can't think of any other class that fits those criteria.

Fred X

Reply to
Fred X

As I said, I was simply earwigging a conversation that was taking place on the stand. I wasn't asking questions about the locos myself. There was definite annoyance from whoever was manning the Dapol stand about the frequency he was being asked for a banger blue 73.

Perhaps (taking into account your comments that a blue version is on the way) he was annoyed because if he'd had them there and then, he could have flogged a load?

Of that there is no doubt :)

And of that there is also no doubt :)

Pete

Reply to
mutley

LArge log Blue with wrap around yellow ends on ebay:

Feebo