Airfix Class 31

"John Turner" wrote

I seem to recall some years ago someone reporting that Wakefield Model Railway Centre has some Dapol (ex-Airfix) class 31s in Railfreight grey.

I've no idea whether that report was accurate, but Ramsey's Guide reports that three such items were planned items D30 (31226 - Railfreight plain grey), D31 (31247 - Railfreight grey with red body stripe) and D32 (31217 - Railfreight Distribution grey). It goes on to claim that NONE of these were produced.

I don't know which report is accurate, but I wouldn't be too certain of the origins of your model. Could it not simply be a repaint by a modeller?

John.

Hi John, On a closer inspection of the model, it appears that the numbers and data panel are painted or printed, not transfers, however, the double rail logo and Railfreight ensignia are transfers. The body shell is blue moulded plastic. The painting is appears to be a high quality factory finish, even down to the thin white stripe that separates the roof from the body. I doubt that a modeller could achieve a similar standard of paint finish. The original Airfix cab glazing has been removed, and replaced with clear acetate similar to what the old Tri-ang diesel locos had.

I have the GM Model Railways Service Sheet CD, and on it, there's three images of the Airfix/Dapol Class 31 models in the Railfreight liveries you mentioned above.

So it's possible that Dapol had planned to release the models in these liveries, but for one reason or another they decided at the last minute not to.

It's also possible that the Wakefield Model Railway Centre, aquired some of the finished bodies at a later date, and released them to the unsuspecting public.

Wilson

Ps; do you know where I can get flush glazing to suit the Airfix/Dapol

31's
Reply to
Wilson Adams

"Wilson Adams" wrote

SE Flushglaze?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Thanks John,

Do you have any in stock ?.

Wilson

Reply to
Wilson Adams

"Wilson Adams" wrote

Sorry mate, don't stock it, the range is far too vast for minimal sales.

Try

and click on Flushglaze Windows (bottom right).

John.

Reply to
John Turner