Airfix Class 31 question

Did Airfix ever release their Class 31 in Grey Rail freight livery ?

Wilson

Reply to
Wilson Adams

"Wilson Adams" wrote

No, but it was rumoured that Dapol had plans to (or maybe actually did) repaint some of the Airfix 31s they acquired when purchasing 'Mainline'.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Thanks John,

The rolling chassis which is molded in brown plastic, still carries the Airfix Products LTD 1975, Made in Hong Kong on the battery box. So it looks like I have bought a unreleased (Railfreight Grey #31 226) Dapol version of the Airfix 31 on ebay.

Wilson

Reply to
Wilson Adams

"Wilson Adams" wrote

I seem to recally some years ago someone reporting that Wakefield Model Railway Centre has some Dapol (ex-Airfix) class 31s in Railfreight grey.

I've no idea whether that report was accurate, but Ramsey's Guide reports that three such items were planned items D30 (31226 - Railfreght plain grey), D31 (31247 - Railfreight grey with red body stripe) and D32 (31217 - Railfreight Distribution grey). It goes on to claim that NONE of these were produced.

I don't know which report is accurate, but I wouldn't be too certain of the origins of your model. Could it not simply be a repaint by a modeller?

John.

Reply to
John Turner