Airfix railway models from Hornby?

Does anyone know what plans, if any, Hornby may have to reintroduce any of the excellent Airfix railway models in OO scale? I have had a good look at the new Airfix site

and there is no mention of it. Lots of other interesting models, but none of them are trains, as far as I could see.

Please forgive me if this has been asked and answered before. I did search the group arhcive for 2007 but with no luck.

Reply to
The Good Doctor

The history of Airfix, Palitoy, Dapol and Hornby will be something worth reading up on, but to summarize, the Airfix tooling was taken over by Palitoy to put in their Mainline range, which subsequently got split again when they ceased business and Dapol took some of the tooling (I believe Airfix toolings). Some of that is still produced by them (for instance, the railway plastic kits like the houses and such), but at some point Dapol' let it go' and Hornby took it over. So some of the ex-Airfix stuff was produced by them I believe, but little of it is around now. This is a very rough summary, and there are others who post here who have a far better knowledge of the history of the Airfix tooling.

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

Dapol still own the kit molds and the kits are in the 2008 catalogue.They sold the RTR stuff to Hornby.

Neil.

Reply to
mumbles

What Hornby have bought is the brand name from Humbrol The moulds where not owned by Humbrol The just sold the kits under the airfix name

Reply to
Trev

The kits, or at least most of them, are now manufactured by Dapol:-

though they cost a bit more than the two bob I used to pay for the mineral wagons. Brian

Reply to
BH Williams

"mumbles" wrote

They sold SOME of the RTR stuff to Hornby, but I don't think all of it.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"The Good Doctor" wrote

As others have said these are now owned by Dapol.

I'd question the statement that they are 'excellent', and would substitute 'good for their day'. Most of the tooling is now 40+ years old, and very much showing its age.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Hornby already own the ex Airfix/Dapol Class 31 tooling. Bought from Dapol if I'm not mistaken in the mid 1990's.

Wilson

Reply to
Wilson Adams

"Wilson Adams" wrote

I was referring to the Lineside Kit range Wilson.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

That sounds like a comment from my annual appraisal, John, except for being a bit generous on the age front. Brian

Reply to
BH Williams

You can still get the Mk2Ds

Reply to
Martin

"Martin" wrote

And the 4F, but I still assume that the original OP was referring to the kits for lineside accessories.

John.

Reply to
John Turner