Roco HO-scale MZ diesel with LokSound decoders - anyone have one?

Hi since the company I work for here in Sydney Australia (Independent Rail -

has a whole stack of the ex-DSB series-3 MZ-class diesel locos I'm looking to buy one (or more) of Roco's excellent-looking series-2 HO scale MZ models which have the in-build LokSound DCC decoders and I was wondering if anyone frequenting these newsgroups has either that version or the version with the standard DCC decoder fitted?

I've had some limited experience with the LokSound decoders and I think they're an excellent product which eats any of the SoundTrax, etc. decoders for breakfast. 8-) Can't comment any of the QSI sound stuff at the moment.

My plan is to modify the locos to look like the series-3 ones, perhape re-painting them silver like ours are and maybe even arranging to have special Independent Rail logo decals made up. If any of you frequent my railway image collections on flick.com or railzone.org you'll have seen plenty of pictures of the MZ's from my day-to-day involvement with them, so I think they'd make a very interesting subject for Australian-prototype 'conversion'!

Regards,

Craig.

Reply to
C. Dewick

"C. Dewick" skriver:

I have testdriven both the Roco and the hobbytrade MZ's

The both run very smooth and has a lot of traction power (like the 1:1 "models").

The loksound decoders are great - but the sound in the Roco version is not quite the correct sound. It is here that hobbytrade has the advantage. They have recorded actual sounds og MZ's and done a very nice job squeezing it into the loksound decoder - their sound files are not for download anywhere.

Do you have a direct link to those pictures? I subscribe to a danish newsgroup, where we are interested in what happens to "our" MZ's in Australia....

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus D. Mikkelsen

I'll second the recommendation for the HobbyTrade locos - I have the MZ Series 4 (3-rail "AC" version with sound). I bought it from Kystbanen in Copenhagen, and they agreed that the sound was the most accurate of the available models. It drives very smoothly, and pulls well.

The sound files _were_ briefly available from the ESU web-site, but then disappeared. I downloaded them in time ;).

I agree that the ESU decoder is a fine unit -- ESU's LokProgrammer is an excellent way to program the decoders.

Cheers, Dam> "C. Dewick" skriver:

Reply to
Damon Kelly

Damon Kelly skriver:

I know, but i didn't get them before they were gone - Perhaps you would be so kin to send them to me by email ?

My address is moppe(at)post6.tele.dk

I use a SPROg interface and JMRI for programming

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus D. Mikkelsen