N.American Diesel Locos. HO scale.

I have recently purchased some Bachmann and Athearn locos which I find facinating, however, there is of course the problem of Buckeye type tension lock couplings.

Is there a simple way of changing these for the more conventional type of Bachmann / Hornby coupling - I would prefer it that I would be able to change back again if ever I decide to go all American (shades of 2 mile long 20 loco trains climbing 6000 ft up to Barstow from the L.A. basin!

Peter A Montarlot (not checked for spelling, grammar or garretts.)

Reply to
Peter Abraham

Far better to change your Hornby-style tension locks to Kadees. I have.

Here in Southern Ontario, where it is relatively flat, we have frequent three-loco CN and CP freight trains of 120 cars, around a mile long.

Reply to
MartinS

Ah, but Martin, you're in Canada and it seems that in the UK, only "America" exists in the conscious thought of most people when they look at the map of North America. Everything north of the Mexican border right up to the Artic is "America", Canada just doesn't register on the radar. :-(

They forget that many of the heaviest trains in North America are run in Canada. Here in BC, 120 plus car trains with multiple helpers are very common.

-- Cheers

Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

In message , Roger T. writes

Doesn't the Duluth Missabe and Iron Range (a subsidiary of CN, but based in Minnesota and Wisconsin, i.e. not in Canada!) run 200-car trains?

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

"Jane Sullivan"

Yabut they're just small ore (No "wh") cars.

-- Cheers

Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

Doesn't the Duluth Missabe and Iron Range (a subsidiary of CN, but based in Minnesota and Wisconsin, i.e. not in Canada!) run 200-car trains?

Yabut they're just small ore (No "wh") cars.

Still have heavy weight in them though ? them taconite pellets weigh a ton !!

Returning to the thread - the Kato N P42 diesel is an absolute dream. Mine is under a Czech railways HOe diesel and runs like the proverbial !!

Phil

Reply to
Waldviertler

In message , Roger T. writes

Yabut that's because of the density of the ore. Each of these cars weighs 20 (long) tons and carries a load of 70, so 200 of them comes to

18,000 tons.
Reply to
Jane Sullivan

"Jane Sullivan"

Typical North American freight train weight. :-)

-- Cheers

Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

The world record is 99,732.1 tonnes (set in Australia of course) also iron ore.

Mark Thornton

Reply to
Mark Thornton

"Mark Thornton"

We all tend to forget that the heaviest trains anywhere are hauled daily in Australia.

Mark, you're not Mark Thornton my "Nephew in Law" are you, married to Laura?

-- Cheers

Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

No. I'm an ex-pat Aussie!

Mark

Reply to
Mark Thornton

Australia doesn't have any Rockies! In fact it has the world's longest unbroken stretch of straight, level railway.

Reply to
MartinS

South Africa, Queensland and Brazil all run quite hefty iron ore trains, the first two on 3'6" gauge, Brazil maybe standard or metre. Regards, Bill.

Reply to
William Pearce