Kato N-gauge class 66

I don't know if this has been reported elsewhere yet, but a Japanese model news site today mentions in passing that Kato plans to produce an N-gauge model of the EMD class 66 in five versions. No details as to when or what liveries, but there is a preview photo of one (in HGK livery) on the site below (scroll down to the bottom photo).

Dave Fossett

"Dave Fossett" wrote

Does it mention the scale - and please don't say N-gauge because that is NOT what I'm asking.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I tried an automatic translation of the page (babelfish), and it doesn't *appear* to mention scale, just talks about some of the features.

Because of the limitations of automatic translators, if you read the English translation out loud you sound a bit like Stanley Unwin!

PhilD

Reply to
PhilD

No, I'm afraid not.

Reply to
Dave Fossett

John Turner said the following on 15/11/2006 09:58:

Well, there are only three or four to choose from in "N-gauge" :-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

"Paul Boyd" wrote

Exactly! I doubt they will be British N-scale (1/148th?) compatible.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Hi John,

When I first heard the Kato announcement they mentioned it would be US/European N scale - 1:160? I think their primary market for the model is Europe.

Ian

Reply to
Ian

1:144? 1:152? 1:152.4?
Reply to
Greg Procter

Greg Procter said the following on 15/11/2006 19:40:

You forgot 1:160 and 1:148 :-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Its been mentioned for around a year. Its had another maker/distributer name on it at one stage, with clear reference to Kato doing the manufacture. (Cannot remember who, but could find out if I asked a few contacts).

If it appears, 1:160, European N standards.

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

1:160 scale and distributed under the Lemke/Kato heading.

Quite a few already available.

£88

Bob

and Japanese 1:150. Here in NZ we use 1:120 on 9mm gauge to represent 3'6" gauge.

Reply to
Greg Procter

?88

Thanks. I initially assumed this was breaking news, but it appears that plans are already well underway.

Reply to
Dave Fossett

Have just taken delivery of four Kato Class 66's courtesty of MG Sharp models, one in HHPI livery, two in HGK livery and one in EPRI livery - I model German in "N".

They run beautifully and the detailing is exquisite - just as you would expect from Kato.

Lovely models and very reasonably priced.

A couple more on my list to Santa!

Richard

Reply to
Cathode Ray

How much did MGS charge you for each Class 66?

Reply to
Bob

=A386 pounds each, they're fantastic as you'd expect from Kato and are superb runners. as I had to visit sheffield this week in connection with my work at Network Rail (Am the head of Electrification, Plant and telecoms Development & Testing), I popped in and bought another 66 in Rail4Chem livery at the same price. I also purchased a "Taurus" Electric in BLS livery for a very reasonable =A355.

I'm a great fan of the Taurus design, I think they're the best looking continental electrics and have 12 from Minitrix and Hobbytrain in DB, OBB, GySev, DHL and Cargoserv liveries, all great runners.

I've been doing N Gauge German layouts for 18 years now and have all three layouts I've so far built featured as Railway of the Month in Continental Modeller Magazine, layouts were "Ternau", "Ost Farleig" and "Lobnitz" and Peco might still have back issued if you're interested.

All of those were 6' by 2'6". I'm now building a layout of 8'6" by 4'3" to be called Bad Sarnau and it is a double tracked electrified secondary line with extensive freight facilities and coaching stock sidings with a raised town and country scene adjoining the backscene and with a fiddle yard of 13 through lines and 6 stub end sidings for DMU's etc. It will feature fully interlocked points and signals, track circuits and working shunt signals. Estimated 300m of wiring involved! Progress has slowed due to work commitments, but hope to have it finished by this time next year. It will feature as a future railway of the month in CM.

Have a look at MG Sharp's website, their mail order service is second to none

Hope this of interest to you.

All the best

Ray (aka Richard Catlow)

Reply to
Cathode Ray

Thanks Richard. I was after the HHPI Class 66 but not sure if Sharps had it in stock.

Regards

£86 pounds each, they're fantastic as you'd expect from Kato and are superb runners. as I had to visit sheffield this week in connection with my work at Network Rail (Am the head of Electrification, Plant and telecoms Development & Testing), I popped in and bought another 66 in Rail4Chem livery at the same price. I also purchased a "Taurus" Electric in BLS livery for a very reasonable £55.