Prestwin top-view anyone?

Trying to find a top view of a prestwin, either prototype or Airfix, to get the detail of the rectangular frame so I can finish some old Lima N prestwins as BR types. The chassis is sorted but I have not been able to find a top view anywhere.

Can anyone point me to a photo showing same, or does anyone have an Airfix kit in front of them and a camera to hand?

Alternatively can anyone confirm that the frame is a simple rectangle of the type I could knock up from 20x30 thou Microstrip?

This is one of those jobs I should have completed at the time, about 1985!

Mike

Reply to
Mike Smith

If I remember rightly, the walkways on the Airfix Prestwin are chequerplate. You'd better wait for a definitive answer though. Flood your top surface of your Microstrip with MEK and press an old file of suitable patternm against it.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Have a look at the following link- there may well be something of use.

Brian

Reply to
BH Williams

Brilliant! Many thanks - dunno how I missed this lot.

Regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike Smith

Glad to be of assistance. The whole site merits a browse through- Paul often adds new stuff if there's a new model out, or if there's been some discussion in the model railway press. If you're looking to see if a particular type is covered, it's worth scrolling to the bottom to 'More Collections'- this gives you a photo and title, with a dozen images per screen, and is much quicker than using the scroll down at the side. I only hope that the collection is backed up- a major crash at the Fotopic server would be a disaster. Brian

Reply to
BH Williams

Oh for a broadband connection! Decent of him to put them all up, there is a lot of real information in those pictures.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Smith

Forget the Lima and do it properly ??

number 2-569, near bottom of page.

And, yes, we do have an N gauge wheel option for them.

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

For those who don't like scrolling:-

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"BH Williams" wrote Have a look at the following link- there may well be something of use.

Brian

Brian, There is everything but the BIS sand trains ! A few and far between photographed train. Now and then, although there are some pictures cropping up now from two friends who have found archive photos from the 1970's. But nothing of the Prestwins that we had at Oakamoor am afraid, more locos.

Do you remember the first "Camel" that went to the North Staffs at Cheddleton by chance ?

Reply to
Andy Sollis

I'm sure Paul's probably got some photos of the BIS stock somewhere- I know that he did take quite a few photos at Cockshute at various times. As to Camel 1.. I didn't go up to Oakamoor until much later, as I didn't have my own transport until I bought a knackered Mini-van from some people who lived at Basford Hall (I think that's what it was called- just down the line from Cheddleton station.). I do remember watching both the Caldon Low and Oakamoor trains passing through Berry Hill, where I used to work, however- normally a 24 or 25 turn back in 1978. Brian

Reply to
BH Williams

"Andy Sollis" wrote

Try:-

I've probably got more too, but not sure where I'd look to find them.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"John Turner" wrote Try:-

I've probably got more too, but not sure where I'd look to find them.

John.

I have a (cough) copy of your first link as a refernce... But I do not think I have seen the second ?

It just doesn't seem to be photographed as much as other services. For a much more common occurance, I bet there are more coal trains photographed than this unusual one ?

Reply to
Andy Sollis CVMRD

"BH Williams" wrote

I'm sure Paul's probably got some photos of the BIS stock somewhere- I know that he did take quite a few photos at Cockshute at various times. As to Camel 1.. I didn't go up to Oakamoor until much later, as I didn't have my own transport until I bought a knackered Mini-van from some people who lived at Basford Hall (I think that's what it was called- just down the line from Cheddleton station.). I do remember watching both the Caldon Low and Oakamoor trains passing through Berry Hill, where I used to work, however- normally a 24 or 25 turn back in 1978. Brian

I have contacted Paul and await a reply.

24's and 25's. Just what I originally set out to recall. Although at that time, I would only have been 2 years old (if that!).

Having had both classes working the route again under preservation, I would love to get some hoppers together and recreate it for a photo charter. Maybe I should contact Rail or Steam Railway ?

Basford Hall is Crewe I think ?

Reply to
Andy Sollis CVMRD

"Andy Sollis CVMRD" wrote

Doesn't it only run once a week, and consequently offers far fewer photographing opportunities?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"John Turner" wrote Doesn't it only run once a week, and consequently offers far fewer photographing opportunities?

John.

May well be correct, but I would have thought the rarity would make it more desirable ?

Guess not by the lack of shots ! :-(

Hey Ho !

Andy

Reply to
Andy Sollis CVMRD

"Andy Sollis CVMRD" wrote

I can only ever remember seeing it two or three times in 20+ years.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

This Basford Hall is definitely just south of Cheddleton (the road that comes down to the level crossing from the Cheddleton- Stone road is Basford something or other, whilst the name appears elsewhere) The hall used to be owned by the Scott-Moncreiff family, who'd moved out to some of the estate houses and let out the hall. The doyenne of the family used to be a racing driver, and still, in her late 70s, used to bomb around the lanes in a Bugatti- I almost ran into it just past where the shed now is at Cheddleton. You've now got an excuse for a model of a blue 1930s racing car somewhere on the layout! But to return to railways- the last duties of 24081, which I recollect was the last of the class to run, included the Oakamoor/Caldon Low services. The return working used to pass our warehouse at Berry Hill just as the vans used to be loaded for the afternoon run in the bay facing the railway- I always used to volunteer to help do the loading. Brian

Reply to
BH Williams

Talking of sand trains, how many people know of the sand trains which came down from St. Ives along the truncated remains of the Kettering to Cambridge line?

More specifically, I doubt that it's well known that, for a time, coke hoppers with the coke boards cut off were used for this traffic. They looked most odd in this form; (Paul Bartlett may well have some images of these modified wagons in his Gallery).

The last trains on this line were, I believe, driver-training sessions one weekend with Clan Line, Sir Nigel Gresley and Duke of Gloucester, prior to some East Anglian steam specials. Not many lines closed so recently can claim steam as their last trains!

The remaining single track is lost in the undergrowth now - or even stolen by the travelling fraternity - and the trackbed is scheduled for use by a 'Guided Bus' system before too long! Now weren't tramways invented as guided buses? Talk about reinventing the wheel!!

Regards, John Isherwood.

Reply to
cctransuk

To be fair, N has improved a little. Though nothing like as much as 2mm.

If you want to be impressed by kits, try the BR 4-wheeled CCT from the coaching shop.

2mm is ideal for the cash strapped. It still takes a significant amount of time to assemble one model, so a £5 or £10 wagon gives many evenings of happen entertainment :-).

Unless you work fast, or convert a lot of N to 2mm wheelsets, its not good for those who mostly want to run trains.

Yes. Members only for access to the products. Why ? Corporation tax reasons, plus a "why should we sell stuff which the members financed outside". The mastering costs of a lot of our products is significant.

There are also a lot of short batch runs, usually organised by a member who wants something, then offers a batch to anyone who subscribes. They tend to be "one chance only", or a particular model only comes round once every few years, so being a member is essential to access those.

I've heard similar talk, but no idea if it will happen.

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

Having seen the size of rooms which pass for new housing these days, I suspect you are likely to have a big influx of new members in the near future. I would have difficulty fitting a z-gauge layout into some of them.

(kim)

Reply to
kim