New Fotopic site - vintage railway images

In article , Peter Masson writes

672 on 9 June 1948
Reply to
John Bishop

Interesting, Andrew, thanks.

Reply to
Tony Polson

"Andrew Robert Breen" wrote

An outline of the Lindall subsidence is at

Reply to
Bruce

In message , Greg Procter writes

Never stops anyone over here from pitching in.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Ya, I was going from the RCTS Locos of the GWR which is limited in its references to lesser railways :-)

Reply to
Graeme Wall

What does Jade think?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Do they always flood ? I cannot see why ? When you say existing pits do you mean all the reserves of coal or all the facilities. I can understand some facilities will be lost as they are too dangerous for re-use and some will be uneconomic to recover. Similarly some areas of coal will be ....

Save the coal for when its economic to recover - Thatcher was right on this and many other things.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

The pits which were closed by Thatcher on the grounds that they were "uneconomic" can never be reopened for a long list of reasons. Among other things, the communities which mined them no longer exist. The coal in them is lost forever. Conservation of coal for future generations was probably at the very bottom of Thatcher's list of priorities.

(kim)

Reply to
kim
[snip]

That's not a reason, if it was felt necessary to reopen the pits then a community could be recreated if wanted. The problem is that Scargill's louts refused to allow essential maintainence to be carried out allowing the pits to become unsafe, wuth galleries collapsed or flooded. The NUM basicaly crapped on its own doorstep.

True.

Reply to
Graeme Wall

The communities that mined them were set up once from scratch, but why would they need to be set up again? The days of everyone living within a 5 min walk of the pit are history, the new miners would just drive to work like everyone else...

Paul

Reply to
Paul Scott

Given that maintaining the rule of law was definitely at the top of her list, and that she was facing a wholly politically motivated attempt to bring the British economy to a halt, it is perhaps not surprising that the conservation of coal for future generations was considered secondary.

Reply to
Tony Polson

Given that she deliberately contrived the strike, with the witting or unwitting connivence of Scargill, I'm not convinced the rule of /law/ was uppermost in her mind.

Reply to
Graeme Wall

Thanks for that. I think I'd got so fixed on the idea of making it clear that he wan't the NLR/GER/L&SW Adams that I threw out the idea that he was still a William Adams..

Reply to
Andrew Robert Breen

Taken over by the LNER on 1 October 1936. Mostly closed in 1959 (the North Norfolk uses part of the route).

Tim

Reply to
Tim Illingworth

OK, so not that soon after :)

I'd been (incautiously) going by Gerry Fiennes' comment (in "I tried to run a railway") that the Western Region badly needed to learn about closing redundent lines, but that the Eastern (he may even have used "L&NE") had little to learn there - and cited the M&GN as an example. The impression was certainly that it had happened early.

Reply to
Andrew Robert Breen

In message , kim writes

What? Does Jade think?

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

Well that's one way of looking at it but please don't dress it up as fact.

So far as the first bit of the above post I think it is romantic nonsense to talk of communities when talking about pit villages. They were amalgamations of various communities within them just like other industrial and rural villages. And they are still there. And my recollection is that the people who worked in that industry made the best of it but had no wish for their sons to do the same.

Reply to
notbresson

What does Jade? Think!

Reply to
Tony Polson

Sorry Kim, but thats another reason down the drain ! Anyway the community that mined them here - south derbyshire and NW leics - is still present. Some are at Asfordby but doubt if theres many youngsters or incomers that would be interested in going down t'pit.

Simon

Reply to
simon

Dont think she pretended otherwise having built up huge stocks ready. Think she was appalled by the cost of the pits and the fact that no one in the coal industry gave a toss. My father always said NCB - No Cu**s Bothered.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon