Noisy Running (or not).

Hi All,

Its me again.

I have replaced the insulation boards on both sides of the layout now with

12mm MDF, I have not yet laid any cork trackbed down yet, and I have not pinned the track to the MDF as I have yet to mark the points and make holes and hollows for the point motors.

Being eager to play trains, I sent a couple of locos with about 10 trucks each around the main lines and was surprised to find very little additional noise over what I would have had before changing the boards.

Now, bearing in mind the cost of 3mm cork, and the fact that I have laid in excess of 50 yards of track plus points etc would it be a false economy to pin the track directly to the board and forgo the cork trackbed, or are there other reasons other than noise reduction for fitting the cork?

It's not just about money, it's the additional time factor and hassle. I will do it obviously if it is warrented.

Eddie.

Reply to
Eddie Bray

On 20/01/2006 18:09, Eddie Bray said,

It does make forming the ballast shoulder a darn sight easier, if you need one!

Reply to
Paul Boyd

I've laid my track directly to MDF and whilst a little noisy, it's certainly acceptable and does not distract from the pleasure of running trains.

HTH

Reply to
Dave Potter

My tracks are directly laid on 9mm plywood. Noise level o.k. as far as I'm concerned, after all real trains aren't all that quiet. Regards, Bill.

Reply to
William Pearce