oo Gauge Beyer Garratt

Can anybody tell me the usual speeds of the heavy coal trains run by the L.M.S. hauled by the 2-6-0-0-6-2 Beyer Garratt locomotives from Toton sidings to Cricklewood yard London? This is a distance of 126 miles, an average time wood help. I am trying to get the gearing correct on a locomotive that I am building.

Reply to
Roger Mitchell

Roger Mitchell > Can anybody tell me the usual speeds of the heavy coal trains run by the

The following data is from the book "LMS & LNER Garratts" by RJ Essery and G Toms

Garratt 4998 Date of run: 31/1/28 Weight of train behind drawbar: 1500 tons Running Time (Toton-Brent): 525 min Average Speed: 14.64 mph Max speed: 39.0

Garratt 4998 Date of run: 2/2/28 Weight of train behind drawbar: 1536 tons Running Time (Toton-Brent): 504 min Average Speed: 15.22 mph Max speed: 37.5

Garratt 4998 Date of run: 1/2/28 Weight of train behind drawbar: 653 tons (98 empty wagons) Running Time (Brent-Toton): 376 min Average Speed: 19.96 mph Max speed: 41.0

Hope this helps.

-- Enzo

I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

And the Garratts didn't have gears :) (Only valve gears....................) Dave.

p.s. is your model having two electric motors? Or are you cheating with one motor in the boiler and flexible shafts to the two engine units? I find Garratts fascinating, and wish the LMS hadn't crippled theirs by insisting on them using LMS parts, instead of Beyer's well-proven ones.

Reply to
speedy2

Why is one motor cheating? At least that way you are guaranteed that each of the engine units will be running at the same speed. Having seen Blackwood's K1 and NGG16 (?) running on their stands at exhibitions, and watching the engine units running a different speeds, I am not certain that a central motor is not the better way.

John Dennis

Reply to
John Dennis

"John Dennis" wrote

Absolutely; Garratts had two engines so why not two motors? They'd only have one power source (electricity from the track) in the same way that the prototype would power its engines using the one boiler.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Absolutely, having spent many hours watching and riding on Garratts its essential to the atmosphere to be able so make each end slip independently. Could do some fancy speed tables with DCC with a sudden jump to full volts, first at one end then the other.

Keith Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

Reply to
Roger Mitchell