OPEN DAY - Ford firm on track for record open day

Littlehampton Gazette

8th September 2009

" Gaugemaster, one of the largest model railway businesses in the country, held two open days at its Ford Road base, attracting people from Surrey, Salisbury and even Scotland. "

Dragon Heart

Why do media *always* have to use crummy puns in headlines for any stories to do with trains of any scale, e.g., on track, steaming ahead, derailed, hit the buffers?

I guess puns are a tradition for headline writers.

Reply to
MartinS

I think they have a little book full of them :-

A railroad engineer must be sure not to loose his train of thought or he might go down the wrong track.

The railway had a safety problem, but tried to cover its tracks.

A train load of paint derailed. Nearby businesses were put in the red.

Those building railways have to do a lot of tracking or their project will de-rail.

On the old trains the engineer had a lot of esteem.

Chris

Reply to
Dragon Heart

It starts when they work on school or university newspapers, which develops a habit they can't break. My brother and his buddy competed to find the most atrocious puns for the headlines. They were the paste-up guys, back in the days when a page was designed by pasting galleys onto the dummy page. Paste-up guys also wrote the headlines. The Editor occasionally changed their efforts, especially the more scabrous ones. ;-)

Wolf K.

Reply to
Wolf K

There was a classic goof in the Daily Express just last week:

A few years ago, on the soap Coronation Street, a headline was shown in the local paper: "Kid Disappears in Tranny Snatch".

I don't know how the writers got away with that one.

Reply to
MartinS