People

I think I know the answer to this one, but anyway. Does anyone yet make cheap-ish 4mm scale modern-ish image people?
There are very nicely modelled and painted 3.5 mm scale continental
figures covering a mind-boggling array of subjects, but while scale isn't that much of a problem they are too expensive to use in bulk on city streets and packed stations. There are the Airfix/Dapol passenger and workmen figures which more-or-less every 4mm scale layout ever built has, but they are old fashioned and even with adaptation are just too familiar. There are whitemetal figures, but generally of historic subjects and expensive in bulk.
For a long while there was a gap in the market for modern cars, which has now been filled, but how about people?
Military modellers can choose from half-a-dozen different brands of 1:72 scale models of the 94th Waffen SS dishwashing brigade, with separate options for modelling Tuesdays or Wednesdays, and there are whole websites pointing out which ones are moulded with the wrong type of shoelaces, but railway figures still seem to be limited to ye olde Dapol.
--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Its the size of the Market, warhgames makers sell shedloads of each pose, railway folk generally want one fig of each pose kinda thing.
Have a look around for 20mm figures and see what is available but most civilians seem to be in the big 28mm 1/60th approx scale.

As a former manufacturer albeit on a small scale of military figures you brought tears to my eyes you brought tears to my eyes. I was once at an exhibition and had some 4mm Napoleonic wargame figures (in wargame terms that's 4mm high not 4mm -> foot). A bespecticaled gent took exception to the fact that some apparently had primrose yellow facings instead of canary yellow!
--
All the best,

Chris Wilson

But no street is complete without half a dozen Bachmann 'monsiegnuers'. Get a sharp knife and some glue to demob an airfix 8th army pack. Finally do a wartime period layout.
Cheers, Simon

Actually the Brits are not that well served in military figures either, there are a few sets of WW2, there was briefly a set with the SLR (Marines, Falklands era) but that is no more and an American firm currently do a set of 'modern' British troops (although the equipment has now changed somewhat following experience in the Middle East and Afganistan). Military stuff has never favoured the modern era, I know as I set out to build representative forces of the various countries in Nato and the Warsaw Pact (spent ten years on that, never managed to finish it, gave up in 1986 having been bought a train set in 1982).
Hole in the market on both counts methinks - Maybe someone with a rapid prototyping printer might produce a set at reasonable cost (there were a couple of early BR diesels produced in that way for OO) - If anyone has an old Centricast machine they might make a few bob supplying a set of (say) ten figures.
Mike
Mike Smith wrote:

Some firm or other does generic sets of Nato and Warsaw Pact troops. Just add white flags to represent the Dutch contingent :o)
(kim)

Think its disgraceful you should single out the Dutch in that way. What about the italians with their vehicles facing homeward.
Cheers, Simon
simon wrote:

I never poke fun fun at other nationalities, unless they're eastern, western or southern region enthusiasts :o)
(kim)

Kim used to work there

I rememeber a couple of years back that Land Rover supplied 800 Defenders to the Italian army, despite, as one wag observed, only having two reverse gears - one of which is very slow ;-)
Cheers Richard
--
www.beamends-lrspares.co.uk snipped-for-privacy@beamends-lrspares.co.uk
I have become... comfortably numb

That would explain the train load full which I saw coming FROM Italy at Frethun one day a few years ago. Must have failed acceptance trials.. Brian

Probably the ones lent to Americans after they discovered Hummers won't fit down roads in Bosnia etc... ;-)

Richard
--
www.beamends-lrspares.co.uk snipped-for-privacy@beamends-lrspares.co.uk
I have become... comfortably numb
BH Williams wrote:

British road vehicles - of course they failed acceptance trials!
Martin wrote:

I'm actually Dutch myself but fell in love with English railways when I first arrived here.
(kim)
On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 00:28:03 +0100, simon put finger to keyboard and typed:

That's another interesting point. I don't think I've ever seen a layout set in that period. There seems to be a distinct set of eras that do get modelled (for example, pre-grouping, the inter-war Big 4, BR transition, BR Blue, post-privatisation, etc), but I don't recall seeing any layouts set in the 1940s - either in the war itself or the immediate aftermath. It's interesting to speculate on why that might be the case.
Mark
--
http://www.MotorwayServices.info - read and share comments and opinons
"I don't care if it hurts, I want to have control"
Mark Goodge said the following on 24/10/2007 08:06:

North Devon MRC - Kingdom's Crossing is set in Summer 1940. A very well-known layout :-)
--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk /

Well, I didn't say that there weren't any, just that I don't recall ever seeing one :-)
Mark
--
http://www.MotorwayServices.info - read and share comments and opinons
"Life is bigger, it's bigger than you"
Mark Goodge wrote:

That's the point - model figures stop in the 1950s or so!

There are some out there - "Overlord" being one:
http://www.copnor.enta.net/shmrc/Overlord_3.JPG and I've seen an army base in Dorset based one a few times.
There is also an N gauge one based on immediately post-war Germany, with everything in ruins.
--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Two or three years ago (or it may have been a little earlier than that) there was an article in the "Railway Modeller" about a layout set during World War II. If memory serves correct, one of the photographs showed a freight train (8F lettered "NE", I think) and on one of the flat wagons was a wing assembly for a Spitfire. In the background there was a crashed ME 109, and there was bomb and fire damage to some of the buildings. Certainly different and I seem to recall it was pretty well done. Hope this helps,
David Costigan
David Costigan wrote:

Don't get Enzo started. He'd probably point out it was the wrong kind of wing for that particular type of Spitfire :o)
(kim)