Poxy Peco point motors

Peco point motors do not latch in place. if you remove the over centre spring from the points then the blades wil be able to flap about all over the place.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

You are not getting enough grunt out of your power supply.

Try sticking a 10,000 micro farad across an unregulated supply. These will shift anything. No fancy electronics just passing contact switches. If you are using peco mounting bases there is a overposition spring in them as well as in the point blade positioner. One of them can be removed. I have been using my simple capacitor arrangement for years with out problem ( up to 4 points will carry). It helps to put a 5k resistor across the terminals to prevent retained charge on shutting down (leakage resistor).

Regards

Reply to
Sailor

Don't if you are using an AC supply!!!!

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Peco point motors do not latch in place. if you remove the over centre spring from the points then the blades wil be able to flap about all over the place.

MBQ

Reply to
Keith Patrick

How?

There is no latching mechanism to hold anything in place if you use a Peco solenoid and remove the over centre spring.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Good point! I use 1000-2200uf capacitor fed through a diode and 1 watt (12 volt) light bulb to drive my point motors. 1,000uf is easily enough to drive one Peco point motor with switch, but I tend to wire complete routes so 2200uf is better. The three components make a very effective CDU and one can have lots of them for the price of a commercial CDU. The bulb's resistance varies with the voltage across it so the CDU charges in about 1/2 a second - faster than I can push another button.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg.Procter