Hornby class 110

I've changed the motor, added lights and fettled it up a bit. Here are some pictures and a bit of description of the changes I made:

Overall I guess this took about ten hours of modelling time. Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

"A reasonably pleasing effect, anyway."

Yes, indeed!

wolf k.

Reply to
Wolf K

Back to the discussion on magazines..... Good idea, no bits from bits box, good photos, good explanations, seems possible for modeller. Theyre going to have to up there game - excellent ! (pity tis a dmu though) Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

I put lights on the A3 as well, the DCC Concepts ones, which was quite fiddly. I also put a yellow LED under the firebox. But I did the DMU because it was self-contained so an easy and convenient testbed for carriage lighting. Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

was kidding about the DMU, but not about it being better than many mag articles. Even though not directly relevant for me, such things are always worth a read for techniques and ideas.

cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Seconded - Passed to a chap building hos first layout, he's a steam only type ut a DMU or two would greatly simplify passenger operations, leaving more time/space for those all important freight stock moves!

Regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike Smith

I agree that a DMU or a railcar is a very handy thing to have around, and I'm mostly a steam man too. They make branch line operations a lot simpler and there's no doubt that not all regions are well-served by RTR branch line kettles. I have an N2, but that's more suburban. Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

I've built a few tanks to improve the RTR offerings, plus theyre in early LMS livery. However the tot likes diesel and do admit the Class 108 is a good looker and runner esp considering the price - oh for the simpliicity as well :-)

cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

My old school chum Eddie had a class 108 parked in his garden at one point. Passing drivers all slowed down because they thought there was a level crossing, so the council told him to move it - the locals thought it was great, of course, since people were driving slowly through their village. Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

Don't forget push-pull. Each of the regions and their big four predecessors had this, not just the GWR. Even London Transport on the Met's Chesham branch and in Essex after the ex-GE remote bits of the Central Line were inherited from BR before they were electrified.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

Excellent article!

(kim)