Re: Diamond Scale Turntable - rail powering

steering wheel hub and horn ring comes to mind as a good source for the contact surfaces

"Jim Trunzo" writes: > >>I am building a diamond scale steel truss turntable in HO, and I am >>looking for opinions on how to best power the turntable rails. I will >>be using a stepper motor (NYRS)to turn it. It seems to me that using >>the pit rail and the arch may be a bit "iffy" for reliability. What do >>you think? > >>I have been considering drilling the shaft and running wires underneath >>to a disk that would use brass or graphite shoes. Since the Diamond >>Scale gear, etc. are not required in my set up, I could mount it in >>this area. However, this is complex, and probably not without problems. > >>Any ideas are appreciated. > >>Also, I have eliminated all of the wood parts, replacing them with ABS >>and Styrene for strength and ease of construction. I think it will be a >>much nicer build. > > Something you could look at is, assuming the stepper doesn't drive the > turntable directly but is geared somehow, extend the main shaft and design > some sliprings that slide around a wider section of tube and use your idea > of drilling out the shaft to run wires through the centre of it up to the > rails. Your idea of using a disc for the slipring surface is a good one > too > - whichever way you go just depends what materials you have on-hand or can > - obtain. > > Regardless of how you do it, you'll always have to keep the sliding > contacts > clean but if they're under the top of the layout there'll be much less of > a > dust problem that using the standard method of power routing to the rails. > > Craig. > -- > Craig Dewick - Professional Train Manager (RailCorp) + HO Scale Rail > Modeller >
-- Check out the RailZone Online Forums! Send > email to > snipped-for-privacy@lios.apana.org.au -- RailCorp Train Crew Council: >
Oz Rail Safety List: >
mindesign