Re: The Greatest News Ever!

In message , John Turner writes

I "reinstalled" it a couple of weeks ago, as my previous subscription ran out so I had to get an update. The old version did the same thing as well, so I assume there is some kind of file somewhere which contains the details of what is banned and what is not, and this file was carried over to the new version. I think I am going to ask McAfee for some support here.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

Repost as the server seems to be confused - try again...

You probably need to put the connection into passive (aka PASV) mode if you're using a firewall and your firewall doesn't do it automatically for you. you probably need to issue the command passive immediately after you've logged into the ftp server.

Reply to
Rod Furey

"Rod Furey" wrote

Usually if a *new* application wishes to gain access to your computer McAfee asks if you wish to allow it access. This is why I'm a bit nonplussed with Jane's problem.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Yehbut, I've actually got ZA Pro ... with an upgrade subscription. ;-) Having said that I have used both, attacked them both via Shields Up, Leak Test and just about everything else I've seen ... and they've both performed equally (perfectly) well.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

But ftp is a bit different, it uses one 'port' (I think port 20) to negotiate with your computer which the firewall will know about, but then goes on to use any other 'port' which is free to send the data. In the old days all ports would be open so any could be used by the stp server to send the data to you but with the need for more security firewalls will close and deny access through most ports unless specifically told to open them. However I believe that if the PASV mode is specified then the firewall will be able to find out which port the ftp data is being sent to and allow access. This is my understanding but may not be correct in all details.

Alan

Reply to
Alan P Dawes

"Alan P Dawes" wrote

I've not had any problem ftp-ing with McAfee Personal Firewall.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

In message , John Turner writes

How's your ftp prog set up?

I've got it set to No firewall and PASV mode. This allows me to connect to the remote ftp site, but all messages inwards are blocked.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

"Jane Sullivan" wrote

I'm using FTP Explorer in default (as downloaded) mode.

I can't find these options with FTP-E.

John.

Reply to
John Turner