Re: Urgent query - Hornby controller - power lead

Hi folks,

> > I'm just at the stage of wiring up the main running lines of The > Dormouse Line Mk 2, at the moment for controllers we're still using > two of the small Hornby type that comes with the train set packages. > > These controllers obviously have a two core lead that actually sends > power to the rails one side is plain black the other is black with a > white line. In order to make provision for future > replacement/expansion and general improvement I need to know which > of the two is positive and which is negative. I'm presuming that > it's usual practice to have a common negative and have a selectable > positive for block working etc. > > No testing equipment (my old mini Avometer died a couple of years > ago) and I can't find the instructions that came with the sets. > > If anyone can send a quick reply I'd really appreciate it - as we > speak my soldering iron is burning a hole in the table. :-)

The actual polarity of the track feed wires changes when you reverse direction with the controller. The mark on one wire is only to assist in identification. You should be OK if you connect the common return wire to the same terminal on each controller and to the same rail (left or right). You can connect wires from the other terminal to isolated blocks of the other rail. This works as long as the controllers are powered from separate transformers. Common-return wiring is not suitable if you have a reversing loop or triangle on your layout.

You should be able to buy an analogue multimeter for £5-10.

Reply to
MartinS

Hi Chris,

Out of the Hornby mains transformer comes 18.7 V AC (no polarity).

With no load on the output from the controller, and the running direction switch to the right, the wire with the white stripe is negative, with 24 V DC being output. Obviously, with the dir switch to the left, polarity is reversed, (white stripe positive).

Hope this helps you out.

Martin

Reply to
Martin

DOH! I realised that about 10 mins after I posted, I've been sat here with crossed fingers all day hoping that it'd slip by without notice.

Its amazing what you forget, when I was 11 I was playing around with CMOS chips on a piece of breadboard and now I make boo-boos like that. :-(

Yup got two on the go all wiring colour coded.

Nah nothing as fancy as that, end to end split into lots of blocks for shunting.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Cheers, see my confession in my reply to the other Martin :-)

Reply to
Chris Wilson

AFAIK, the wire with the black stripe should be +ive when the controller is in the forward direction. Don't quote me on it, but I'd be almost certain. :-)

It does, of course, depend on the position of the little plugs in the track connecting clip too, and from which side of the track the clip is inserted. What is more important that plain polarity is the the train goes in the direction you expect it to!

HTH, Chris R.

Reply to
Chris Rogers

Maplin do a cheap and nasty digital @ £4.99.