Rigid PVC as opposed to Styrene?

Hi all

Just looking for opinions - is rigid PVC suitable for model making and can it be glued with MEK style glues? the stuff I mean is like credit card material

thanks

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

dont think mek works on PVC but you can get solvent for PVC drain pipes from diy stores

Reply to
Trev

In my experience it's a difficult material for sanding, OK for simple shapes but more awkward when it comes to blending edges. I've never persevered as styrene is so much easier to work with (and I know what I'm doing with that!), Cheers, Bill.

Reply to
Bill Davies

all good points folks! Have axed the idea and will be sticking with styrene

well ok - I will be sticking styrene - with MEK .... have found someone who will give me all the styrene I need for a 6 pack of beers.

:)

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

Hi again Steve Yes, PVC can be bonded with MEK, and the commercial pipe joiners are based on MEK, but the joint will probably not be as secure as with polystyrene unless it is an interference fit like a water pipe joint. The best solvent for PVC is tetrahydrofurane (THF), which you are not likely to be able to obtain easily. Simply Glues sell a solvent called "Tetra" which might be THF, but I doubt it. Usually polystyrene is much easier to cut, sand, bond etc. However, PVC water pipe has a few uses, such as for silos etc. Alan Mac :o)

Reply to
Alan McKenna

Thanks Alan

I have noted the comments and advice given here so far and will be going with rigid polystyrene (called HIPS apparently) - I now have a supply of it for next to nothing so it's full steam ahead, as soon as I can get to the guy's factory who offered it.

I am still unable to find 3mm tube that's suitable other than from a hobby shop - mind you, in brass the stuff is only $7 for a (I think) a 90cm length. This will do plenty of signal posts. But being a modeller, you all know I will keep searching for something else that will do the job for next to nothing

:)

Steve

Reply to
mindesign