Rocket Fuel

Hi,
As a brithday present I received a secondhand model of Hornby's live steam
Stephonsons Rocket. Apart from having to get a replacement gas tank (the
original leaks) the loco runs fine, although I can forsee it costing a lot
in butane gas!
I got a can of Swan gas lighter refill for under £2 but it didn't last that
long (the leaky tank played a large part there), doe anyone out there
running this loco (or any other butane gas fuelled loco) know a good cheap
source of butane? My local newsagent is going to think I've got a solvent
abuse problem!
TIA
David
Reply to
djdublo
Thanks Phil, yes I've got one of those brass tanks not tried it yet. Too hot to lay the track out in the garden! David
Reply to
djdublo
I run butane fired steam locos, albeit of the garden railway variety as produced by Roundhouse, and I tend to use the large bottles of Gas that can be bought from B&Q etc. An adapter can be bought from (I think) either Brandbright or failing that Garden Railway Supplies, or maybe even Roundhouse themselves. (I don't personally know OTTOMY, as my adaptor was supplied with my first loco when I bought it 2nd hand)
Hope this if of some help,
John
Reply to
John Savage
Hornby state that that type of butane must not be used. They say that only the cigaretter lighter type must be used, don't know why. Thanks David
Reply to
djdublo
G'day All, Hornby's Rocket used a burner that was made by Ronson. For those that do not know Ronson made, among other things, Cigarette Lighters. After we discovered a fault with the original Rocket Burners, Ronson changed the design and Hornby placed these in all future models. They also replaced the burners in all of their Store stock.
Reply to
Graeme Hearn
Careful here. Butane in lighters is actually liquid, the pressure is going to what is needed to keep it liquid at whatever the ambient temperature is. Boiling point of butane at 1 atmosphere is 4 degrees C.
The bigger containers for gas lights, portable stoves whatever are often propane, boiling point -42 degrees C, thus a far higher pressure is needed to keep it liquid at ambient temperatures..
Perhaps your Rocket should have a boiler test? :-).
Reply to
K.D.Balderson
In article , Alan P Dawes writes
Two, actually. 'normal' and 'iso-' butane
Reply to
John Bishop
The 'C' hanging down at the bottom should be an 'H'! Iso-butane also called 2-methyl-propane, ie. propane, as the top diagram but with only three 'C's, with a methyl group attached to the 2nd 'C'. Terry's 'C' would have to have a valency of 1, whereas carbon actually has a valency of 4.
What was this thread about? Rocket fuel????
Tony
Reply to
Anthony Morgan
^ H not C
Being pedantic: You have obviously not heard of the change to a world wide systematic naming for organic compounds that was introduced nearly 40 years ago. Industry should now be using systematic names instead of the 'common names' and labelling should reflect this.
Butane is the systematic name for what was once called n-butane 2-methyl propane is the systematic name for iso-butane
Alan
Reply to
Alan P Dawes
Hehe,
Thanks one and all for your comments, it is funny how an innocent request for info about obtaining larger quantities of butane for my Hornby Rocket turns into a chemistry lesson!
I think I will just have to stick to my local tobacconist! David
Reply to
djdublo
Wouldn't that dangly -C make iso butane unstable?
Reply to
Gregory Procter
If you get them from your friendly camping or boating supplier, they are just "propane" or "butane". We use either for our boat's cooker, oven and fridge. As long as the correct pressure reducer is used, it doen't matter which is used, the only thing being that they have different freezing and boiling points. They both will work cookers, fridges, blow torches et al. It just doesn't matter! The only real problem is in the connectors, but we have both anyway! One is in a red/orange bottle, the other a blue. They both burn well!
Dave.
Reply to
speedy2
Graeme, I?m having burner problems with a newly acquired Rocket and have just seen your note. Have also just bought a replacement from Tony Green but the design is quite different (it uses a C clamp to attach to the firebox rather than a double O washer/clamp on the original. The ?new? burner also extends a full inch further into the boiler. I am trying to work out which burner is the second iteration by Ronson? Rgds Keith Skinner
Reply to
RocketMan