Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch scale question?

Meant to ask this question when Bachmann's railway calendar first arrived last year instead of leaving it until now but what is the approximate scale of the R, H & D's locomotives in relation to their full size counterparts? Half, third, quarter?

Also, has anybody ever built a scale model of this particular railway?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Stated 1/3rd scale, 1/4 guage. (approximately)

Reply to
Greg Procter

Excellent. Thank you.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

... Which would make it appear slightly narrow gauge by appearance compared to scale. Something just under 4' if scaled up relative.

Ooh... now that's a thought. It's probably closer to relative scale with OO than the prototype is, given the slight 'narrow gauge' effect of running on underscale track...

James Moody

Reply to
Major Bloodnok

Yes it has been modelled, at least New Romney station end, using OO track and stock, scales out to about 1/20th.

I have seen it on the exhibition circuit a number of times, very nicely done. There are pictures on the net of it, if I remember where I will post a link.

Reply to
MudMuppet

Not the best photos I have seen of it, but a quick search turned up this:

Scroll to the bottom of the page.

Reply to
MudMuppet

Roughly 1/3 scale on 1/4 scale track, from memory. The original "scale model" 15" gauge engines of pre-WW1 had been found to be not up to the job for heavy work (this was particularly obvious once the R&ER was converted) so Greenley's designs got bigger while the gauge remained the same. But like OO, really ;)

ISTR some kits exist for O9...

Reply to
Andrew Robert Breen

Wonderful, thanks :o)

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Thanks. I wasn't planning to build a scale model myself, just curious as to how it would look. I *was* thinking of building a 15" gauge British outline replica railway in the scenic park behind my home in Holland *until* I saw the sheer size of the R, H & D locomotives! Have now scaled down my ambitions to something like an elevated line of around 7" gauge. It could be years or even decades before I acquire the deeds to the property or the money to build it.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

There was a rather nice 00 gauge model of one of the RH&D stations and its approaches that used to appear quite regularly at the Fareham exhibition (held in the Community Centre, not the Ferneham Hall). It's a few years since I've seen it, but I don't think it is the same layout as that posted by MudMuppet. If Elliott Cowton is reading this Email he is very likely to be able to give more accurate details. Apologies for the lack of precise detail, but hope this may help.

David Costigan

Reply to
David Costigan