rubbish posting

Anyone opened todays posting from noreplyemail that looks like something from ancient egypt

I wasnt sure wether or not to trust it

Bob

Reply to
Bob Heath

It seems to originate from Hong Kong, judging by the headers, but the appropriate headers for language/character set are missing, so it appears in Western European on my computer - ie, garbage!

Reply to
Rich Mackin

posting is designed for the curious who are three wagons short of a train who have inadequate virus and firewalls. Steve

Reply to
titans

"Bob Heath" wrote

The best course of action is (in OE) to go to Message > Block Sender and you shouldn't be troubled by this person spamming you again.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

On 24/01/2005 19:04, John Turner wrote,

...until they change the spoofed "From" address. THE best course of action is to get MailWasher Pro, and get that to scan emails through various spam databases such as Spamhaus, Spamcop, ORDB and FirstAlert, before OE or whatever gets a sniff that the emails even exist, and especially before they are even downloaded. Just my humble opinion, of course!

Reply to
Paul Boyd

In message , Paul Boyd writes

Or use a news server such as

which bins most of the spam before it even gets to you (which I presume is the case with the posting concerned as it hasn't appeared here). This does rely on people not replying to spam though.

Reply to
Spyke

but they are non-binary so no good for abpr :o(

Reply to
Uncle Wobbly

In message , Uncle Wobbly writes

True, but most newsreaders will allow you to subscribe to different newsgroups on different newsfeeds, I think even Outhouse Express allows this.

Reply to
Spyke

"Paul Boyd" wrote

We're talking Usenet posting here, not emails. Spam filters are fine, if you don't mind losing genuine emails. Far better to avoid posting your proper email address on Usenet groups (just like you're doing) and that eliminates 99% of spam.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Mailwasher is pretty good John, I check periodically and none of the 60-odd discarded mails per day are pukka and I don't get people saying they mailed me and I dint see it.

Reply to
Uncle Wobbly

That's the key isn't it? I have had the same addy for about 7 years and no way can I afford to change it :o(

What a lot of people don't realise is just how many rogue mailers are running skimming software... whenever I forward a mail, I *Always* take out any addresses in the body (old headers) and if it goes out to a list, I nearly always Bcc it so only one address it visible.

*sigh* simpler times...
Reply to
Uncle Wobbly

"Uncle Wobbly" wrote

Running a business means I can't take that risk, and having to check that they're not deleting genuine emails is a bit self-defeating in itself.

A couple of years ago I was getting as many as 200 spam &/or virus infected emails a day. I changed my email address & stopped posting it on Usenet groups and after two years I now get maybe one or two spam emails each day. Hardly worthwhile using a spam filter.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I too run a business and have a website. I am absolutely convinced that the 150 spams a day which hit my mail filter are the result of a number of people making 'rogue' sales enquires so that they can get a response and then spam to my address. Don't underestimate the ingenuity of spammers! They will do anything to get their garbage out!

Graham

Reply to
gppsoftware

"Uncle Wobbly" wrote

It's easy enough to email everyone in your address book and tell them you've changed your address.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

This has always confused me - I am posting on what I assumed to be a 'Tiscali Newsgroup' using OE6. I have scanned the source Code for some of the messages in this chain, and there is no mention of Usenet in the headers or bodies of the messages!

I only receive about 10 'legitimate' Emails a day, but have to try and find then in a sea of junk! I have tried 'blocking', but it is ineffective, and now appears to be slowing down the Emails! I have changed addresses, but 'they' caught up with me after a week or two! I have set up 'Rules' to sort messages containing certain 'keywords', but they still get through!

Someone suggested using a Hotmail address all the time, as they now scan all Email going through their servers, and are a lot better than they used to be!

I have 2 questions....

How does Usenet 'figure' in this Newsgroup? I have never subscribed to it.

How do I set up my OE6 system to give a false return address - will it stop my 200+ daily unwanted Emails!

Many thanks,

David. (under that pile of messages - the one over there... yepp, that's Me!).

Reply to
David F.

"David F." wrote

That's because you post using an anti-spam email address that any child could translate into a real one see

I use snipped-for-privacy@nospam.invalid - now try converting that into a proper email address.

The scum that trawl for email addresses to spam are just as capable as me of deleting "remove-this."

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Just tagging onto your post here John, a general reply to anyone interested rather than to you personally :)

I've used my real email address on usenet for many many years and see little in the way of spam.

This happens because I don't use my ISP for email, I use my web hosting provider. They filter out all Viri before they reach me (they send me a stripped message so I can still see if the email has actually come from someone I know) and they employ spam filters.

In all the years I've used this service I've not once had an email from someone asking me why I hadn't responded to a previous mail, so I feel that it's perfectly safe to say that an email has never gone astray.

I still get the occasional spam, but usually no more than two or three a day at peak, and quite often none at all when it's quiet.

They have a stand-alone email service which costs 70p a month. If anyone really feels that they are plagued by spam then it's worth considering I would have thought.

(the company is called One and One. The Tinyurl simply takes you direct to their email package page)

Pete

Reply to
mutley

"mutley" wrote

Ironically virtually all the spam (and email viruses) I get these days come via my web hosting provider. I get nothing through my ISP email server, which now also scans for viruses.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Heh heh heh... Usenet is the underlying system that Tiscali "subscribes" to. You always HAVE been on Usenet with this group. Tiscali is just your service provider. As of this morning, there are

28,959 groups on Usenet carried by my ISP.

Probably in your preferences someplace - but you might try getting a real newsreader. As the magic 8-ball says: "Outlook not good". On a Mac, I use MTNewsreader. Can't help you on other OSs. (I have heard good things about Agent and FreeAgent)

Don't expect it to stop the junk e-mails, though. Your address is already out here. You might try your ISP and see if they have spam filtering. Earthlink's is pretty good, but I don't know if they're available to you.

Reply to
Joe Ellis

"David F." wrote

It will certainly help, although if you're already receiving them, only a new email address will stop them outright.

To set up OE go to Tools > Accounts > News > click on the news account which you use for Usenet access > Properties > General and then insert a spoof address where it asks for your email address, being careful not to use domain names which are legit such as

snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com

myplace.com being a legit domain.

The approved spoofing domain being .invalid.

John.

Reply to
John Turner