Shed Layout

In the colder parts of Canada (i.e. most parts), a reinforced concrete foundation-cum-basement extends from below the frost line (4-6 feet or more) to at least 2 feet above ground. The wood frame sits on that. My bungalow (built 1997) is framed in 2x6 lumber with R20 insulation; outside is covered in OSB (waferboard), plastic vapour barrier and vinyl siding or brick. Inside has vapour barrier, horizontal metal lath and

5/8" (16mm) drywall. The ceiling joists (2x8?) have blown-in insulation. Windows are thermopane, vinyl clad; outer doors are insulated metal with magnetic draught seals. High-efficiency fan-forced-gas-fired hot-air furnace and water heater use ABS drain pipes for exhaust - you can put your hand on them. My shed (used for storage only) is ventilated but not insulated, and sits on a pad of 2x2' concrete slabs. Wood used in its construction is pressure-treated against rot.
Reply to
MartinS

I rarely visit my shed between December and April; it would involve either digging a path through the snow or wading through a swamp.

Reply to
MartinS

Then I wouldn't use them for a layout site.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir
[...]>>

Over here, even block/brick construction requires vapour barrier between the outside wall and the inside wall finish (which is usually drywall fastened to wood strapping glued to the brick/block wall.)

We're paranoid about mold or something. :-)

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Oh yes, they do, at least over here in Northern Ontario they do. That is, there is a damp-proofing layer between the basement/foundation (concrete block/poured concrete) and the wood sill on which the floor structure rests.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Strange clean rooms, the biggest in the country (was biggest in europe) where I monitored its classification (class 100) and the ones where I work now, down to class 10, all use HEPA ceiling filters, with several other stages before that, none of which use grease....Lots of places sell spun fibre filters, much easier to live with.

Niel.

Reply to
Badger

We do, its called foil backed plaster board here. My house is timber framed, brick clad outer, reasonably warm with minimal energy input compared with older construction.

Niel.

Reply to
Badger

The Fleishman set track system uses 7.5 inch and 9 inch nominal radius curves for radius 1 and 2 - Bachman have already said their new engines wil not run on curves of thess than about 10 inch radius.

Radius 3 and 4 are about eighteen and ninteen and a half inches, there are no intermediate radius curves in this range.

I have just got hold of some Fleishman stuff to play with European and US outline stock

shows the track plan)

This uses Fleishman track, the points of which have a 7.5 inch (radius

1) inner curve. The continental stuff runs like a dream, even the uncoupling ramps work every time (although not with my old Lima stock). To date my old Farish locos have coped fine with the 7.5 inch radius curves but as I understand it the new stuff will not run on these curves.

The standard Fleishman points have what amounts to a radius 4 (just over eighteen inches) curve.

Re CLC you need LNER engines (in the main) and there are firms offering their own limited ranges of locomotives, including an 060 tender engine, but you would need to check with them re the minimum radius.

I am going to try a US outline engine on these, probably a Life Like S9 shunter but having asked on rec.models.railroad no one knew if their US stuff could handle such tight curves.

If you come across any UK outline bodies that will fit on Fleishman steam chassis I'd like to hear about them but if looking at Farish stuff go for the diesels, they run better and have better electrical pick up. Locos that do not run well are ornaments, I knwo as I own some.

HTH

Mike

Reply to
Mike

My experience of the idea dates back to the mid 1970s, it was an electronics assembly area, positive pressure via filters but with greased plates just hanging in the room, which I was told were to collect dust - I tried the ioniser and greased plate idea myself a few years back, high ceiling room, cold feet, it fixed the problem of the cold feet and the plates collected a lot of gunk from the air

Regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Any fiberglass insulation between the framing studs?

Reply to
MartinS

There's a little matter of sixty million people most of whom live in an area of three hundred miles by one hundred miles, with recollections of The Great Fire. The reason we don't use wood is that we can't afford the land needed to separate our house from the neighbours. Most confortable home I've had was a converted wooden canal narrow boat.

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

"Wolf Kirchmeir"

Yes, the felt strip laid on top of the concrete. However, I don't think that's a damp-proof course in the UK sense, to stop damp from creeping up the walls, it's to resist rotting of the bottom plate of the 2 x 4, or 2 x

6, wooden framing where it rests on the concrete basement wall or concrete pad.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

"Ken Parkes"

We build multi-story apartment buildings (Flats), townhouses (Row houses), duplexes or side by sides (Semi-detached) shopping centres and anything else you can name out of wood. We clad our buildings in wood, we roof them with wood, we floor them with wood, 90% of the structure can be wood, just the basement or pad will be concrete. The rest of the house these days will be plastic. The gutters, down pipes, plumbing, both hot and cold water and waste, the exterior cladding etc., could all be plastic.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

snipped-for-privacy@notigg.not.no wrote: [...]

The S9 will run around the 7.5 in radius curves, but I wouldn't embarrass it by making it do so - that's much too small a radius. Always use the widest possible radius, and use the tightest only where you absolutely have to (as in the curves at the each end of an oval.) I'd avoid sectional track, too, and use flex as much as possible.

What I'm unsure about is whether the L/L engines will cope with the Fleischmann turnouts, since AFAIK Fleischmann wheels and track don't conform to NMRA standards and RPs, while L/L engines do. Post your experience with L/L engines + Fleischmann turnouts here, just for the record. AFAIK, L/L engines have no problems with Peco track. I've used Atlas (sectional, flex, and turnouts), and Shinohara (flex and turnouts), no problems at all with that stuff.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Dam right!

Reply to
Badger

No the reason wood isn't used for housing is that there wasn't that much available (before the modern forestry plantations). The navy had first call on the best bits. On the other hand North America had (and still has) huge forests to chop down. Today we just carry on the traditional style, albeit with a significant amount of hidden concrete.

Mark Thornton

Reply to
Mark Thornton

The curves are necessary to fit a loop into the available space. Normally I would avoid anything less than eighten inch radius in the open but I wanted to test the Fleishmann track system as those small radius curved points could be handy in a fiddle yard.

I wanted to have a look at Continental and US outline but I'm moving home in stages so a 'suitcase lid' layout is all I can handle at the moment.

I will report back on how I get on with different makes on the Fleishmann track

Mike

Reply to
Mike
[ on tight curves and whether the trains can get round them ]

Barry Norman's book (I think it is his) on layout design has an example in a shed. In this design he puts the return loops OUTSIDE the shed inside closed boxes (with access panels). Thus the interior of the shed is full of layout, yet still gives continous running.

Henk Oversloot's fiddle yard on his latest layout uses some moving flexi-track as the selector to a multiple road yard. Its a sort of cross between a traverser and a ladder turnout. Takes up not much space. The geometry took some working out, but once done, it works a treat. (Henk works to FiNe standards, but the fiddleyard selector is normal N).

- Nigel

Reply to
NC

That old saw! How much wood do you think the navy got through each year? The reason our woodlands were run down was that we could import better, cheaper, from the growing colonies, and the Baltic states. And the decline increased as the use of charcoal dropped off. Re-establishing forestry was after the shock of WW1 and the threat to coal mining, it was never intended to be more than pit prop production.

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

The plan is to use the Fleishmann track to make a train set once I have finished experimenting with it. The criteria for a train set are very different from a model railway layout, it has to be rugged, reliable, simple to operate, easy to get stock onto the track and the stock has to tolerate rough shunting and handling. I have four curved points and one each left, right, 3-way points and a double slip so I can build a double track through station with two sidings of the run round loop, 'round the back' the curved points will provide a long loop on each track. This has to fit on a fold-down baseboard mounted on top of a set of drawers five feet long, so it'll be five foot by two feet with platforms only four (possibly only three) coaches long. If things go well additional sidings can be added into the central area, say a factory and a small MPD.

If I like the continental or US outline stuff my next layout may well go that way, and that will hopefull be a lot bigger and more of a model railway. Having said which this toy train lark has proved rather fun and I wouldn't mind having a train set to play with myself, the tinplate brigade seen to have a fair bit of fun.

On the subject of tight curves however when I was in the US in the

70's there was a line running through San Jose with a curve feeding into what I think was the Glorietta Foods cannery that was extremely tight, even allowing for foreshortening by virtue of the viewpoint it was much tighter than anything I had seen anywhere else, at least as tight as the curves in Manchester Docks. That line was (IIRC) served by full size GP type engines, which presumably shunted that siding.

Regards

Reply to
Mike