This weeks disappointment.

No, it was the tyres, they are turning on the rims rather too easily :-(. At least it could be an easy, and cheap, fix.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Well I must confess that I grew up in the steeper world of Devon and Somerset with a strong flavour of both banks of Gloucestershire. The line over the South Hams has 3 x 1:40 something. The Barnstaple line was not flat and as has been mentioned the S&D had more than molehills. The Lyme Regis branch could also be quite exciting. My other local was the North Somerset (Bristol to Frome) which also behaved in a rather undulating fashion. I thought that 6 carriages would be representative for the old heavier type and that 8 of the elegant Centenaries would be reasonable. After that I use double heading. It is odd that two locos (Un Rb WC and a Black5) , neither of which manage more than 4 or 5 carriages can conjointly manage 11 or

  1. The irritant is where my Kings fail the Castles romp away ( prototypical one may think).

I did not want steep inclines but to use my space effectively I needed to go up and over (80mm) and had only 3M run to do it in. The other complementary incline is curved and just slightly longer at 3.8M.

Regards

Peter A

Regards

Reply to
Sailor

On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 13:32:29 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@aber.ac.uk (Andrew Robert Breen) said in :

/me perks up

Any idea who?

Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 15:49:43 +0100, "John Turner" said in :

Or have two drivers :-)

Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

I had that problem recently with my Hornby tender drive Flying Scotsman. I removed the spur gear, cleaned up the axle and took the opportunity to clean the commutator area and apply some electrolube to the bearings, then superglued the spur gear back on. Runs fine now.

Reply to
MartinS

Yet they manage to get a 6 coach train hauled by a Schools Class 4-4-0 up it. I was there once when "Repton" was brought to a stop at the top of the incline by a malfunctioning signal. It took a lot of huffing and puffing and clouds of smoke and steam, but it managed to get the train rolling and into Goathland station.

Reply to
MartinS

Going from memory, Fleischmann.

Reply to
Andrew Robert Breen

Can't remember whether Stirling 1 had three or four on, but she climbed it without any sort of problems. Mind. old Pat Stirling reckoned that big driving wheels were what was needed for hill-climbing.

Reply to
Andrew Robert Breen

"MartinS" wrote

It's better to replace the gear with one of the later issue brass versions which is an interference fit and not reliant on being glued in place. Unless you're extremely careful doing what you suggest, it's very easy to superglue not just the gear to the shaft but also the shaft into its bearing then the whole motor is useless.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I was *very* careful!

Reply to
MartinS

Definitely Fleischmann they always have one on the layouts they bring to the big exhibitions.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

"MartinS" wrote

LOL - not everyone is *that* careful - I get pee'd off with idiots bring stuff for repair into my shop when they're *really* bodged. Got to the point now that them that breaks it have to repair it!

John.

Reply to
John Turner

One of the pictures on

shows a rack railway.

The Fleischmann rack can be seen at

and

Jane Sullivan

On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 23:29:22 +0100, Chris said in :

That's N, isn't it, but presumably would serve for narrow gauge rack in HO/OO?

Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

Fleischmann - in HO and in N scale.

Two models in HO, a Bo steeple cab electric and a 2-6-0 BR 91 with a cog underneath There was an old clunky 0-6-0t for about 40 years but it has been superceded. The rack fits Code 100 rail a plastic rack center rail that pins down along the sleepers. It's not excessively expensive.

For N gauge there's an 0-6-0 rod drive box cab electric and similar pin down rack rail for Code 80 rail.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg.Procter

They do this 0-4-0 in HO, which could pass for a L&Y Battery Electric (bottom of page) at a distance.

Or this steamer:
And there is the slightly boxy N gauge 0-6-0; I have one in a drawer somewhere.

If feeling wealthy (unlikely to see change from £200/loco), Bemo do several rack locos in HOm (12mm gauge), together with matching rack track . They might also do stuff in HOe (9mm).

L&Y Battery electric, as sold by High Level Kits:

snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com/Pages/locopage.htm

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe