Trains by suction - Model Rail article

Nope... what is saddest of all is that I've committed that piece of trivia to memory and it is now *bound* to be trotted out on conversation sometime!

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Of course not, you silly git. It grows in gourds.

Joe Ellis

Bruce Fletcher tortured innocent electrons to declare:

Don't remember that but I do remember an article on how to build an LSWR Dragon Van, specially built for travelling showmen, and also how to model an experimental all-black Cl. 47, converted to run on LO-FARP OIL...

Del

Reply to
Del The Obscure

I thought that was "Humoresque", or:

Passengers will please refrain From flushing toilets while the train Is in the station...

Reply to
MartinS

......I love you

Workmen working underneath Are apt to get it in the teeth And they won't like it Nor would you.

:-)

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

Just zis Guy, you know? once wrote in ...

It's the opening bars played on the program, but the dum-di-dum bit isn't actually the beginning of the piece. There's a frequently played brass band arrangement...

I'll now go and put by head back in that bucket.

Reply to
David Morris

"Del The Obscure" wrote

experimental all-black Cl. 47, converted to run on LO-FARP OIL...

Was this the one that only worked at night due to secrecy and finally abandoned due to the fact they couldn't make the alcoholic fuel non consumable to shed crews? Lived Carlisle way if I remember?

Andy :-)

Reply to
Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept.

"Atmospheric

spaghetti

I liked the one some years ago about LT painting cartoons on the inside of all the tunnels. As the train went by and the window lined up with each frame you would get the effect of moving pictures. Must have been some stroboscopic lighting onvolved somewhere.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Phil: Truth is stranger than fiction: The system is real, and in use in Tokyo. It also appeared on Tomorrow's World. Yes - the train times the illumination of tge images in time with the windows passing so that a continuous image is perceived - with motion.

Also museum and architectural models make 'most' of what was in th RM article which triggered this thread - only modelling the visible 'exposed' sections, and at Miniatur Wonderland in Hamburg, there is an 'atlantic tunnel' in that rrains from one side of the exhibition layout pass to the other side beneath the visitors feet - visible through a glass floor. (At the other end, they pass over the visitors heads on a high bridge) In both cases, very large spirals with lots of turns are used, as well as lots of cameras etc to monitor the trains. (They have more monitors in their control room than I have seen in some TV studios)

Reply to
Phil

[ smiley noted ]

If it was alcoholic (low or otherwise) I expect it blew heads off, and I'm not talking about the crews either....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

On 04/03/2005 21:24, Luke Briner wrote,

Um.... this is the "APRIL" issue.....

Mind you, I think that an April Fool at the beginning of March kind of bounces back at the magazine!

Reply to
Paul Boyd

On 06/03/2005 09:04, John Sullivan wrote,

You read the article??????

Reply to
Paul Boyd

In message , Paul Boyd writes

Why shouldn't I?

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

LOL " *Vegetable* spaghetti" eh? Wot will they think of next?

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

It just gives us more time to have fun with this thread!

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept. tortured innocent electrons to declare:

Something like that! A special fuel refined from Brazilian sugar cane IIRC. The accompanying phot was one very blurry B/W shot of a 47 cab...

Del

-- 'Life - loathe it or ignore it, you can't like it' If you want to e-mail, you'll have to remove YOURCLOTHES

Reply to
Del The Obscure

As incline railways rely on gravity to work and, as we all know, gravity sucks, then wouldn't incline railways fall in to the "Trains by suction" category?

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

Is that all you can think of, having fun? You should be out looking for a job, my lad!

Reply to
MartinS

Hi, Jane! What did you do with John?

Reply to
MartinS

What is so unusual about that? A leaflet I just received from Hornby shows the new range of Stanier coaches finished entirely in black. I assume this was a wartime camouflage measure?

(kim)

Reply to
kim