Weathering timescale

I like to weather my models. I get a lot of satisfaction from turning a pristine engine or wagon into a filthy, dirty rust-heap! Of course, not everything on my layout is weathered like that. Some things are weathered with a great deal of restraint. However up until recently I have simply gone ahead and weathered everything how I see fit.

I like the looks of the new Bachmann BR Standard 5, No 73030. According to the review in BRM it is suitable for a post November '55 period. This will suit my layout, which is built to cater for three time periods - 1906, 1936 & 1956.

So here is my point ("ah.... finally", I hear you all sigh). How quickly did steam engines get dirty? How often were they cleaned? I can imagine that top link express engines were cleaned weekly, but how dirty were they after a week? If I assume that 73030 was shopped in November '55 and came out squeaky clean, how dirty would it likely be by May '56, assuming its use as a hardworking mixed traffic engine?

-- Enzo

I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

"Enzo Matrix"

Over all grime Enzo. Numbers perhaps wiped clean(ish), BR totem barely visible. Steam locos got dirty, fast.

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

Roger T > Over all grime Enzo. Numbers perhaps wiped clean(ish), BR totem barely

Thanks Roger. That's just how I like my MT engines!