Webcams on Layouts

Hi folks, I am putting together (in my head at least) a fairly large-ish layout based on the WCML in Staffordshire/Northamptonshire. I think when all asais and done i'll have about 25 by 15 feet to play with.

I am planning on doing the interlocking on a Linux based PC, but with a traditional NX panel affair, hopefully complete with train describers showing their headcodes as they pass from section to section.

I did also for a while at least, think about doing it all in EM gauge, but seeing as re-wheeling Steam models to EM and the complexity of doing pointwork in flat bottom rail section has turned me off the idea fairly conclusively.

I also plan on putting Webcams in a few places on the layout and transmitting footage live from the layout too.

The cost of Webcams and a suitable Linux box would be peanuts but might be of interest to an enthusiast. I suppose I could even host high res footage on a website?

I dread to think what you responses will be but what the hell.

Cheers,

Rob.

Reply to
Robert Wilson

I think it would be bloody brilliant and would for one, love to see it.... I have been trying to find small movie files on the net of layouts but they are either terrible quality, too short or dead links so far.

Cheers

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

There's an excellent webcam of a 12in to 1ft Japanese railway station at

(It was snowing and blowing when I looked yesterday.)

Reply to
MartinS

Wow, that's really cool (literally).

Regs,

Rob.

Reply to
Robert Wilson

And that's a lovely little jingle they play before the train departure announcement.

Reply to
MartinS

looks bloody cold!

Reply to
mindesign

All

If anyone is interested to pursue this I am happy to host the footage on my servers. Let me know.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Robson

They've had a lot of snow in the last 2 days! I just checked - nighttime with 2 trains parked - a brilliantly-lit, noisy snowplough just came in and cleared the third track almost up to the camera!

Reply to
MartinS