Weird Amazon

I have seen some pretty strange suggestions from Amazon - you know, the ones that say "we see you bought X, we thought you might like Y". However, the one I got today takes the biscuit, for me at least. See what you think:

Greetings from Amazon.co.uk,

As someone who has purchased or rated "British Railway Goods Wagons in Colour: v.1: For the Modeller and Historian: Vol 1" by R.Powell Hendry or other books in the Models & Model-Making > General AAS category, you might like to know that "How to Start Social Centers (Classic Reprint)" is now available. You can order yours for just £5.47 by following the link below.

Maybe someone thinks we rail enthusiasts are socially inadequate anoraks who need help....

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

My dear wife remarked that: "If anyone bought a book like that then Amazon must be trying to help them to get a life!".

Reply to
Sailor

I get similar suggestions from Barnes and Noble who don't seem to understand that I have been known to buy books to give away as Christmas and birthday presents - and even for the annual charity drive for the local children's library.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

Well, I don't know about your a situation, but if we here want any kind=20 of public money, direct or indirect, we have to show that we provide=20 benefits such as a venue for social chat and such. Our club has been=20 dithering about qualifying for "charitable status), so we know what=20 hoops we have to jump through.

cheers, wolf k.

Reply to
Wolf K

Nothing could be farther from the truth!

Reply to
MartinS

no, that's not right. 'Nothing works faster than Anadin'.

Reply to
bobharvey

IIRC Amazon lets you exclude certain purchases from the ones it uses to recommend other products, to deal with that kind of situation.

I've not found a way to persuade it that if I've bought the paperback, I won't want the hardback as well.

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

Very true. I use Beecham's for exactly that reason. Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

I see TOM @ Amazon has been at it again !

Chris

Reply to
Dragon Heart

Well, I don't know about your a situation, but if we here want any kind of public money, direct or indirect, we have to show that we provide benefits such as a venue for social chat and such. Our club has been dithering about qualifying for "charitable status), so we know what hoops we have to jump through.

cheers, wolf k.

Believe here its got to include words such as 'social inclusion', 'ethnic minority' or 'sexual orientation'.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

And I refuse to pay for their massive advertising budget, and buy generic painkillers instead.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

Was Beeching generic

Reply to
LDosser

"LDosser" wrote

Geriatric in the end! ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Every railway closure since the direct line to Six Mile Bottom seems to get attributed to him, so perhaps.

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

Off on a tangent ........

In the latest BixRate.co.uk newsletter they have the following :-

'USB Hard Drives' below a photo of a lawnmower

'USB DVD' Burners below a photo of a grass strimmer

'USB Scanners' below a photo of a jet washer

Considering a USB only carries about 5 volt the motors on these things must be very weak :-)

I blame the government ........

Chris

Reply to
Dragon Heart