What really happened to Steam?

The Railway Magazine, November Edition , on the news-stands today has launched a feature that explains that a lot of the info in the 'What Happened to Steam' books was wrong. A new website is being launched today too -

traction

Its strong and doing well on Submarines and Warships(navy ones not = southern ones)

Reply to
Trev

Submarines, yes (well, for a certain subset of submarines). Warships (surface ones), no (apart from a certain leftpondial nation's aircraft carriers). Surface warships have been predominantly gas turbine/diesel, gas turbine/gas turbine or diesel/diesel (for sprint and cruise respectively, in each case) for many years now (just /how/ many years ago did the RN pay off its last Leander..?). Minor units, of course, have been uniformly diesel-driven for even longer.

Reply to
Andrew Robert Breen

fascinating debate on the replacement of steam by other forms of traction it seems the article is concerned with what happened to individual steam engines. Still a worthy topic, just not the one I was hoping for.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

I think the last RN steam to go were the landing ships Fearless and Intrepid. Finally scrapped last year after being mothballed for a long time.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

You're absolutely right of course. I'd forgotten about Fearful and Decrepit (which, IIRC, used similar machinery to the Leanders). Only scrapped last year, too? Shows how out of date I am on such things..

Reply to
Andrew Robert Breen

They're all in a secret tunnel complex under hill in Southern England, with several crashed UFO's etc. I read it on the web, so it must be right ;-)

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamends