What really happened to Steam?

The Railway Magazine, November Edition , on the news-stands today has launched a feature that explains that a lot of the info in the 'What
Happened to Steam' books was wrong. A new website is being launched today too - http://www.whatreallyhappenedtosteam.co.uk
traction wrote:

Its strong and doing well on Submarines and Warships(navy ones not southern ones)
Trev <trevbowdenatdsl.pipex.cominvalid> wrote:

Submarines, yes (well, for a certain subset of submarines). Warships (surface ones), no (apart from a certain leftpondial nation's aircraft carriers). Surface warships have been predominantly gas turbine/diesel, gas turbine/gas turbine or diesel/diesel (for sprint and cruise respectively, in each case) for many years now (just /how/ many years ago did the RN pay off its last Leander..?). Minor units, of course, have been uniformly diesel-driven for even longer.
--
Andy Breen ~ Speaking for myself, not the University of Wales
"your suggestion rates at four monkeys for six weeks"

I think the last RN steam to go were the landing ships Fearless and Intrepid. Finally scrapped last year after being mothballed for a long time.
Jeff

You're absolutely right of course. I'd forgotten about Fearful and Decrepit (which, IIRC, used similar machinery to the Leanders). Only scrapped last year, too? Shows how out of date I am on such things..
--
Andy Breen ~ Speaking for myself, not the University of Wales
"your suggestion rates at four monkeys for six weeks"

If I may say so, youre title is misleading. Instead of the (to me) fascinating debate on the replacement of steam by other forms of traction it seems the article is concerned with what happened to individual steam engines. Still a worthy topic, just not the one I was hoping for.
Cheers, Simon
On Wed, 07 Oct 2009 09:45:35 +0100, traction wrote:

They're all in a secret tunnel complex under hill in Southern England, with several crashed UFO's etc. I read it on the web, so it must be right ;-)
Cheers Richard
--
I have become...............comfortably numb