What to do?

Iain Rice has some interesting things to say about what works in N and what doesn't in one his books. He points out for example that you are 'looking down' on an N-gauge layout much more so than the same track plan in 00 which is viewed from a different angle.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

It does depend how you present things. Which Iain Rice does cover in some of his books.

If one does the "classic" baseboard with layout on it, then the "helicopter" view does tend to dominate in many N models. But, if one adopts the "staged" view which Rice advocates in some books, then the view is side-on. The view in such a layout is not really scale dependent.

The main issue with N is to take advantage of the space. Don't be tempted to cram too much in (unless building a tiny cameo model), instead make use of the space to show the models in landscape.

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

With any scale, if you want to 'cram it in', don't try and make it look (semi) rural, choose an urban setting whilst using retaining walls as your back-drop. But yes, for a rural setting in 2mm/N gauge, less is certainly more.

Reply to
Jerry

It didn't belong to Bob although it did once run on his garden line. See here:

It's at the end of this video:

Or in slightly higher resolution:
To save any YouTube video, copy the url and paste it here:
You may need a newer codec to be able to play the mp4 version.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Bob's hydraulic was gauge 1, 10mm cale. It used a 2-cylinder model aircraft glo-plug engine.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

Ah thanks. I did do a search but was unable to find any specific references to it.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

There was a Model Railway News article when it was built.

I think it was MRN but I also used to get RM and MRC.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee