Wheel depth on older models.

Firstly, thanks to all for their input on my first posting here, it was a great deal of help.

As I'm starting out with nothing, and have limited funds, I have been doing a fair bit of looking on eBay (but have spotted the over-priced parts, that can be got just as cheap in stores).

Anyway, my kit is gradually building up for my rather ambitious plan for a double layer layout.

The Princess Elizabeth 4-6-2 I ordered has now arrived, and it does need a bit of sprucing up, but seems in fair order. It does at least work anyway. However, I have had some bother with this loco, in that it only runs very sporadically, and has poor traction. The little Caledonian

0-4-0 I got with my starter kit runs very well though, and there are no dead spots on the track when running it.

I also noticed the 4-6-2 was jumping a little going over the points. Further investigation finds that the wheels are deeper in the groove than the newer model, and are fouling on the guides in the latest points. Of course it is an old Tri-ang model. I also find that it does rub on the sleepers in the track too, which happens on the new track, as well as some older stuff I got.

I suppose I'm looking at a couple of solutions; Change the wheels for later design, modify the wheels so they fit, or forget it and buy a newer model.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Yep you are, much the easiest is a newer model

Reply to
mr lim

I will probably end up doing that. However, is it cost effective to replace the wheels anyway? Bearing in mind I only paid £10 for this one.

Cheers.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

It depends, it would be a good exercise in wheel changing, as if you buggered it up, it was only a £10 model you have broken, and it could sit static in a siding somewhere as colour.

But if you want to get up and running, the new Hornbys, are fine models in there own right.

Reply to
estarriol

IMO, No. For one thing AFAIK there aren't any cheap, drop-in conversion wheels. There is an outfit whose name I forget (I found it by googling) from whom I bought custom turned replacement wheels for a Lima GWR diesel car. RP25 profile, very nice, but they cost more than the model. Also, they showed up the poor motor, which is the next item on the list. It's never ending, like maintaining your house and garden. ;-)

Also, the Triang model is not up to modern standards in running gear, mechanism, or body detail. If you like it (presumably is has some pleasant associations for you), make a small display case, and put it up on the mantel or the wall. Buddy of mine made a wall-mounted display case about 18"x24" out of offcuts of mahogany and oak trim he happened to have, with a clear plastic front. Three shelves in it with tracks mounted on them. He glued pieces of printed backscene behind the shelves, a different scene for each level. Very decorative.

HTH

Reply to
Wolf

Wolf said the following on 24/07/2007 14:39:

You're probably thinking of Ultrascale. They're not exactly custom turned, but they're not exactly off-the shelf either :-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Yes, that's it. They said to allow up to six weeks for delivery, so I inferred that they made up the wheels in batches. Small batches, probably. ;-)

Excellent product, though. Includes axle-mounted gears as required. Just dropped in. Well worth the money IMO.

Reply to
Wolf

What track are you using?

Code 100 Peco Streamline has been around a long time, dating back to the days of deep flanges.

Reply to
Christopher A.Lee

Probably not. I doubt standard 4mm scale axles will be a direct replacement.

Reply to
Christopher A.Lee

Triang was originally Code 140.

(kim)

Reply to
kim
[..]

I'm using whatever came with the Caledonian 0-4-0 set.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Well, if it comes to it, I might even try taking them down a bit, it's only the flanges that are too deep.

Yes, looks like it's going to be the way to go.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Aye, I can see that with this one anyway. Oh well, nothing ventured, as they say :-)

I guess I've learnt something from this, as I didn't realise there were different depths of track available. I know there is for Scalextric, but I have the deeper grooves in the set I have, so older cars will run on it.

I don't think I'd go that far, it doesn't actually have any special meaning for me, other than I wanted a large loco. I think I'll probably just paint it up a bit, and stick it in a siding somewhere.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

They were however a deliberate direct replacement.

Reply to
Christopher A.Lee

I know, but Streamline has been around since the days of Triang Hornby and claimed to be universal. I don't know how they did it, because I use matching track and wheel standards in O gauge.

In my OO days I used SMP Scaleway which handled over scale flanges by cutting back the inside of the chairs, which looked right from outside. The chairs also raised the code 75 rail off the sleepers so there was room for oversize flanges.

Does Peco do anything like this?

Reply to
Christopher A.Lee

I think you'll find the flat bits that rest on the rails are a bit too wide as well?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

That's probably code 100 train set track, not even universal.

Reply to
Christopher A.Lee

You will find that the back-to-back measurement of the wheelsets will also be off, probably enough to impair smooth running through the points. The key dimensions are at the frog, where the check rails prevent the wheels from going up the wrong side. Wheel and track dimensions must be adapted to each other for smooth running.

But don't let this deter you. It's worth a try. If you are using code

100 Peco universal points, the engine will likely negotiate the points well enough, albeit not perfectly.

Just keep in mind that after the initial expenses, model railways are cheaper than smoking, healthier, less likely to cause wrinkling of the nose by your nearest and dearest, and you have something to show for your money. ;-)

Reply to
Wolf

That would ceratinly give a back-to-back distance the points wouldn't like.

Reply to
Christopher A.Lee

My Triang Class 31 diesel won't run properly on Hornby Series 6 track. It just bounces along the sleeper chairs like a demented kangaroo with blue sparks flying off the wheels and a strong smell of ozone in the air. A replacement set of wheels is available but there are so many other things wrong with the model it's easier to just buy a new one.

(kim)

Reply to
kim