Wheel depth - Nostalgia and another question.

Saw the thread about wheel depths and I had the same problem. Just come back to railway modelling after nearly forty years. Well 'come back' may be something of a misnomer. As I recall I tended to use my Triang layout - lovingly built by my father - more as a Scalextric set albeit with trains and as a battle ground for my Airfix OO/HO figures and tanks.

I am building a small DCC layout at the moment with the new Hornby digital stuff and quite happy with it. I did mainly for reasons of nostalgia, buy a Triang Princess loco and a Triang Jinty on EBay plus I have also managed to buy very cheaply nearly all the old rolling stock that I used to have.

At the moment most of it is either in a 'dead' siding or not on the layout. I have a question about the old rolling stock - surely that can be cheaply adapted to new wheel sets? I see that Hornby sell them.

.and no I did not try and run the old Triang Loco's on the layout with DCC! I initially had the track work set up with a DC controller but had the same problems with modern points.

Hey I am even ballasting track this time around so I must be serious.

Reply to
Nick

I have a number of older wagons from various manufacturers, which I have fitted with current Hornby wheelsets and Kadee couplings. One of them is a black NCB coal wagon with the imprint "Tri-ang Made in England". I don't know when it was made; Tri-ang became Triang-Hornby in 1964, although I believe stock from both companies' moulds was sold for some time.

Reply to
MartinS

Hi Martin, R102 N.C.B. Mineral Wagon (Silver Seal Wagon) No. 3471 The wagon was produced by Hornby Railways and not Tri-ang Hornby between 1973 & 1977. The standard 12' 0" chassis X358 was used by both companies and dates from 1963. This was used on many models by both companies.

HTH's

Wilson

Reply to
Wilson.R.Adams

Thanks, Wilson. That's the one. I didn't think any of my stock dated from before the 1970s. It was mostly acquired in the 1990s.

Reply to
MartinS