WJR bench

Hi I was in the Holly of Hollies yesterday the N.R.M. in York & looking around the wide gauge locomotive Iron Duke. At the front of the locomotive was a very nice bench with the letters W J R carved into the top rail. I asked the staff working in the local area if they could enlighten me on its history & the W J R. they thourght the J R was Joint Railway but could go any further. Can anybody enlighten me further please. Many thanks Roger.

Reply to
Roger Mitchell

A quick bit of checking doesn't turn up any railway companies with names that would give WJR (nearest I can find is the WCR, the West Cornwall Railway). Some stations were run by joint companies which only covered the station and its environs though (Carlisle was one, at one time) so it could be from one of those (though "Joint Committee" was more common than "Joint Railway" in such circumstances..).

Probably the best thing is to e-mail the NRM - either their general enquiries or (possibly better in this case), their research enquiries:

snipped-for-privacy@nrm.org.uk

They'll know.

Reply to
Andrew Robert Breen

"Roger Mitchell" wrote

Very seasonal - was there ivy with the holly?

The only possibility I can find is the Wigan Junction Railway.

John.

Reply to
John

One of my favourite joint operators was the 'Stalybridge, Hyde, Mossley & Dukinfield Joint Tramways (later Transport) and Electricity Board' (SHMD for short). They ran trams and buses from 1903 to 1969 on the east side of Manchester (now known as Tameside).

MartinS

The Initials of the user of that bench?

Reply to
Trev

Whitehaven Junction Railway !

Chris

Reply to
Dragon Heart

On 4 Nov, 11:28, "Roger Mitchell" wrote: > > Hi > > I was in the Holly of Hollies yesterday the N.R.M. in York & looking around > > the wide gauge locomotive Iron Duke. At the front of the locomotive was a > > very nice bench with the letters W J R carved into the top rail. I asked the > > staff working in the local area if they could enlighten me on its history & > > the W J R. they thought the J R was Joint Railway but could go any further. > > Can anybody enlighten me further please. Many thanks Roger.

What self-respecting LNWR man would have anything to do a broad gauge engine? They (the GWR) were to be kept out of LNWR territory at all costs. Rightly so, as the last thing the LNWR wanted was an interchange between gauges on its lines. AFAIK they succeeded in doing so and it was only lesser railways, like the Midland, who accepted such nonsense.

;-P

Kevin Martin

Reply to
Kevin Martin

Whitehaven Junction Railway A small independent line, promoted by the Lonsdale interest, connected the existing Maryport & Carlisle Railway with the town of Whitehaven, a thriving port on the west coast of Cumberland. It obtained an Act of Parliament on 4th July 1844 and was opened throughout in March 1847.

It had a range of rolling stock that was eventually managed as joint stock between itself and the Whitehaven & Furness Junction Railway . It was amalgamated, together with the Cockermouth & Workington Railway , with the LNWR in 1866, from which date the railways became a microcosm of LNWR practice, though it was entirely isolated from the parent company. The Whitehaven & Furness Junction Railway was purchased by the Furness Railway at the same time, and the resultant joint stock was divided between the two companies.

begin 666 ball20.gif M1TE&.#EA"P`+`+,```#,F3,S`#-F9IG__\S,S #_```````````````````` M`````````````````````"'Y! $```4`+ `````+``L`0 0GL$@)IBU"@!#L @&!H@9MX`D%,FKMQ5=*YD"NZWHFLNMEAXPA8!3Q(!`#L` ` end

Reply to
Bob

What is this doing in a text group?

Reply to
MartinS

you lost the plot Martin?

I didn't post a gif

Reply to
Bob

Yes you did...

Reply to
Jerry

Well, it was tacked onto the end of your post.

Outhouse Express does that sometimes.

Reply to
MartinS

No it doesn't, again you show that you really don't know anything about how OLE works, even Xnews would do things that it should not if incorrectly set up or subjected to incorrect use...

Reply to
Jerry

"MartinS" wrote

No it doesn't at least not for me; if it does for you then it's possibly something wrong with your pc.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

No, it's not my PC. I use a news server that doesn't automatically filter out binary attachments in text-only groups, since I use the same server for binaries. The line I quoted in my original post was appended to the end of "Bob"'s post as it appeared on my server, which I quote in full below:

I have seen this before, when someone using OE had small binaries mysteriously added to the end of text posts. I guess there's a setting somewhere to turn it off.

Reply to
MartinS

I think the bench was simply placed in front of the Iron Duke as a convenient place to rest !

Chris

Reply to
Dragon Heart

Good point, but it doesn't answer the OP's question!

Reply to
MartinS

OP ?

Oral Production ?

Occiput Posterior ?

Orthographic Projection ?

Opening Post ...... I thought we already had that covered ? Whitehaven Junction Railway !

Chris

Reply to
Dragon Heart

"John" wrote

The Wigan Junction Railway opened between the Liverpool and Manchester Railway at Parkside Junction (in Newton-le-Willows) and Wigan. The original station in Wigan was located close to Chapel Lane, and three trains per day were provided, connecting with the Liverpool and Manchester trains at Parkside.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

OP ?

Oral Production ?

Occiput Posterior ?

Orthographic Projection ?

Opening Post ...... I thought we already had that covered ? Whitehaven Junction Railway !

Chris

Op Pit

CHeers, Simon

Reply to