WJR bench

Hi I was in the Holly of Hollies yesterday the N.R.M. in York & looking around the wide gauge locomotive Iron Duke. At the front of the locomotive was a
very nice bench with the letters W J R carved into the top rail. I asked the staff working in the local area if they could enlighten me on its history & the W J R. they thourght the J R was Joint Railway but could go any further. Can anybody enlighten me further please. Many thanks Roger.

A quick bit of checking doesn't turn up any railway companies with names that would give WJR (nearest I can find is the WCR, the West Cornwall Railway). Some stations were run by joint companies which only covered the station and its environs though (Carlisle was one, at one time) so it could be from one of those (though "Joint Committee" was more common than "Joint Railway" in such circumstances..).
Probably the best thing is to e-mail the NRM - either their general enquiries or (possibly better in this case), their research enquiries:
snipped-for-privacy@nrm.org.uk
They'll know.
--
Andy Breen ~ Not speaking on behalf of the University of Wales, Aberystwyth
Feng Shui: an ancient oriental art for extracting
snipped-for-privacy@aber.ac.uk (Andrew Robert Breen) wrote:

One of my favourite joint operators was the 'Stalybridge, Hyde, Mossley & Dukinfield Joint Tramways (later Transport) and Electricity Board' (SHMD for short). They ran trams and buses from 1903 to 1969 on the east side of Manchester (now known as Tameside).
http://www.gmts.co.uk/education/history/shmd.html
--
Martin S.

"Roger Mitchell" wrote

Very seasonal - was there ivy with the holly?

The only possibility I can find is the Wigan Junction Railway.
John.
"John" wrote

The Wigan Junction Railway opened between the Liverpool and Manchester Railway at Parkside Junction (in Newton-le-Willows) and Wigan. The original station in Wigan was located close to Chapel Lane, and three trains per day were provided, connecting with the Liverpool and Manchester trains at Parkside.
John.

The Initials of the user of that bench?

Whitehaven Junction Railway !
http://www.lnwrs.org.uk/Glossary/WHJR.php
Chris
Dragon Heart wrote:
> > Hi > > I was in the Holly of Hollies yesterday the N.R.M. in York & looking around > > the wide gauge locomotive Iron Duke. At the front of the locomotive was a > > very nice bench with the letters W J R carved into the top rail. I asked the > > staff working in the local area if they could enlighten me on its history & > > the W J R. they thought the J R was Joint Railway but could go any further. > > Can anybody enlighten me further please. Many thanks Roger.

What self-respecting LNWR man would have anything to do a broad gauge engine? They (the GWR) were to be kept out of LNWR territory at all costs. Rightly so, as the last thing the LNWR wanted was an interchange between gauges on its lines. AFAIK they succeeded in doing so and it was only lesser railways, like the Midland, who accepted such nonsense.
;-P
Kevin Martin
--
To Reply, delete what is "Not Required" in abbreviated form

I think the bench was simply placed in front of the Iron Duke as a convenient place to rest !
Chris

Good point, but it doesn't answer the OP's question!
--
Martin S.

OP ?
Oral Production ?
Occiput Posterior ?
Orthographic Projection ?
Opening Post ...... I thought we already had that covered ? Whitehaven Junction Railway !
Chris

OP ?
Oral Production ?
Occiput Posterior ?
Orthographic Projection ?
Opening Post ...... I thought we already had that covered ? Whitehaven Junction Railway !
Chris
Op Pit
CHeers, Simon

In usenet-speak OP stands for "original poster"
--
Jane
British OO, American and Australian HO, and DCC in the garden

Yes Jane thank you, I did know what it meant but I was just doing my bit for the CAUoA ?
Campaign Against Use of Acronyms
Chris
` end

What is this doing in a text group?
--
Martin S.

you lost the plot Martin?
I didn't post a gif

Yes you did...

Well, it was tacked onto the end of your post.
Outhouse Express does that sometimes.
--
Martin S.

No it doesn't, again you show that you really don't know anything about how OLE works, even Xnews would do things that it should not if incorrectly set up or subjected to incorrect use...
--
Wikipedia: the Internet equivalent of
Hyde Park and 'speakers corner'...