6013 rod, okay for small backhoe fabrication?

Hello, I am living in northern Thailand, and a friend and I are currently building a backhoe attachment for a Kubota tractor. We are working with a lot of heavy plate, quarter to half inch thick. However all we can find here in the north is 6013 rod. The Thais use it for everything. Every shop carries it, the most popular being Japanese Kobe Steel rod or Oki Steel. It is quality and it is cheap, a five kilogram (11 pound) box of 3.2mm (1/8th) for about two dollars.

However we are a little concerned that this isn't the best rod for this project. I have read that 6013 penetrates a bit shallow, and

6011 would be better as it is a deeper rod and more ductile. Can we get by with 6013 if we are careful? It makes really nice welds so far, and the bucket I made looks good. I am sure I could find different rod if I made the 400 mile trip to Bangkok, but I try to avoid that place.

It seems as if the Thai welders around here never use anything but

6013, actually some I talked to weren't even aware there were other rods. I know other rod exists because there is first class contruction and industry in Thailand. It's just that we are out in the jungle so to speak..

Much thanks for any input on this..

Cheers from Siam Eric

Reply to
tigertanaka

Our shop had the same problem when we did a job in northern China.

It's not the best, but it works. Just do the weld prep - make sure you grind in vees for butt welds, and make your fillets a full 60% of the material thickness.

That doesn't matter if you do the weld prep.

More ductile? I don't have numbers on that Kobe rod in front of me, but I'd be really surprised if it's more ductile than 6013.

Do you think you're the first guys to ever build a backhoe in Thailand?

Reply to
Mike Graham

everyone has come up with some really good advice, but -- if you are welding a plate that is 1/2 thicker, i would at least preheat the plates ( after proper clamping down) to the proper temp. this will give you a better penetration on the root and face.

maybe i am wrong but okay.

Reply to
plc