Bang! Bang!

Pulled the trigger yesterday on a 250 amp machine . Everlast , yes ... I'm getting both air and water cooled torches , and an upgraded "package" of stuff like a better regulator and stick electrode stinger . This machine is the same unit as the one the guy uses for the

videos , has HF start/ac freq control , pulse , has the 2t/4t controls for initial/ending amps , up and downslope time , etc . I'll be posting my findings when it arrives . Also cut a good deal with my neighbor for a big gas bottle , full but they don't know for sure if it's CO2 or C25 or argon . Sticker on the tank says C25 , but they're not sure . I'll hook it to my MIG when I get it and try a few passes - might be that it's got argon in it , which would be the icing on the cake !

Reply to
Terry Coombs

If the label says C25, it probably is C25. Even if your neighbor re-filled the cylinder himself with straight argon, there is likely to be a significant amount of C02 left in the cylinder.

Most welding shops will swap a similar gas cylinder for the cost of a fill, as long as there are no "heritage" issues. Collars on cylinders with supplier names on them are the kind of "heritage" issue I am referring to.

Good Luck, BobH

Reply to
BobH

Well , it does have some heritage issues , there's a collar with a long-closed supplier's name on it . The supplier I'm talking to has been told about this , and says it's not a problem since the company dissolved over 20 years ago . On the contents , it most certainly is NOT C25 as labelled . Side by side welds with the only change being the gas have a different appearance , and the arc behavior was totally different . I'll give it a shot with the TIG before I trade it ... and who knows , it might just be argon .

Reply to
Terry Coombs