CALLING ERNIE LIEM KUHLER

Long ago, Ernie suggested some quality T.I.G. gloves and I wonder what they are.

ALSO, he talked about his suitcase welder. Now, I need one that is T.I.G. and such. Maybe it doesn''t have to be a suitcase welder but it has to be smaller than my Lincoln 300/300.

Help, anyone?

Thanks.

justme

Reply to
finalact

Check the archives and spell he name rightwhen you do.

A suitcase generally refers to a MIG wire feeder that's (usually) attached to one's engine welder (possibly by a long set of leads) (ie, a Lincoln LN25) it is not, itself, a welder. You might be thinking of an inverter TIG.

As for the newsgroup, it's been dying the usual usenet death of more spam, less content, and too many political whackos. You obviously left if this comes as a surprise to you - lots of other folks left, too.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

Thanks for the info.

If I didn't spell his name correctly, how can I searc the archives correctly?

Thanks.

justme

Check the archives and spell he name rightwhen you do.

A suitcase generally refers to a MIG wire feeder that's (usually) attached to one's engine welder (possibly by a long set of leads) (ie, a Lincoln LN25) it is not, itself, a welder. You might be thinking of an inverter TIG.

As for the newsgroup, it's been dying the usual usenet death of more spam, less content, and too many political whackos. You obviously left if this comes as a surprise to you - lots of other folks left, too.

Reply to
finalact

Ernie has been pretty scarce these days.

Tilman 25BL gloves are what I have been using for years and I like them. They are comfortable, easily available, and as long as you keep them out of the grinding wheel when you are grinding tungstens, they last for years.

For a suitcase TIG machine, Miller makes a couple, Dynasty (AC/DC) and Maxstar (DC Only). Thermal Arc also makes some small inverter machines that have a good rep.

Good Luck BobH

Reply to
BobH

Thanks, BobH. I will search for the gloves and get a pair on yout recommendation.

What do you think woudl be a good price for the Thermal Arc?

There is also an Accurate Tools tig but I don't like it at all.

Again, thanks

justme

Reply to
justme

I was looking at the TS201 a couple of years ago and it was about $1800. Looking around now, it looks like it is about $1400 with basic stuff like a regulator, ground clamp and a torch. I like the foot pedal controls better than hand controls and I like water cooled torches a LOT better than gas cooled torches, but both of those add real money to the cost.

I have never used one of the Thermal Arc machines personally, but I considered them seriously when I was looking for an inverter welder. Ernie spoke highly of the Thermal Arc inverter machines a few years ago, I think he set up a community college shop with them.

As much as a welding machine costs, going with a brand that you can get serviced in 5 or 10 years is an important thing to me, so I never looked beyond Miller, Lincoln, and Thermal Arc.

Reply to
BobH

--FWIW you can usually find Ernie on FB:

SteamboatEd Haas