Carbon Arc brazing rods UK...

Hi there....

Does anybody have a source for these in the UK?

I know this is old technology [does anybody even make the rods anymore?], and oxy/act is the way to go for brazing old bicycle frames [recumbent making] but I am very restricted in terms of space and it's not possible or safe to store gas around the place. I'm thinking of getting a cheap arc welder and using a carbon arc torch as a means of brazing this kind of tubing.

Another question - would an auto-darkening helmet be any good for this? I know I need full protection, but just wondering how this kind of helmet would behave under these conditions.

Many thanks Garry

Reply to
garryb59

They braze very badly, and temperature control is rubbish. I wouldn't use one for bike frames.

Try buying a cheap oxy-acetylene set from eBay. Apart from bottle rental (which is hard to avoid in the UK) then this can be a cheap route.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Yeah:

- never bought anything from them, just came across them when searching for welding rods!

ABS

Reply to
Alaric Snell-Pym

Thanks, although I couldn't find any rods specific for carbon arc brazing, only arc air gouging. I can appreciate it's not exactly a popular sport these days, and gas is obviously more preferable, but I'm just interested to try it out.

cheers Garry

Reply to
garryb59

Hi

I still have one of these torches and used it to great effect (about 25 years ago). The air arc carbons wont work, the proper rods have a core that makes them burm slow. The air arc carbons just spit and splutter.

Reply to
geepeetee