Chlordane container

I was looking at the labeling on my container the other day, and noticed Chlordane was used on it.

How concerned should I be, and what are my alternatives?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

"SteveB" wrote in sci.engr.joining.welding:

I, personally, wouldn't be concerned at all and, in fact, be happy that it'll resist attacks by a wide number of insects that, otherwise, might invade it.

If you can't smell it inside, don't worry about it at all.

If you're paranoid about it, wash it down with a mix of Simple Green, TSP, and water using a pressure washer. This will get rid of it.

Reply to
RAM³

I read

and would cvaution you not to lick the container. For years the department of agriculture recommended chlordane for termite control; now it is officialy "bad stuff".

I suggest you read the information at

a lot of common sense, and enjoy your containers that have been trate with termite, worm and flea killer.

Washing the container, as directed will decon the container, but again do not lick the walls or floors. The web site reports there have been very few injured from limited exposure to the chemical.

Enjoy the containers in good health

Reply to
Nadogail

Nadogail wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@x5g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

My old house was treated for termites with chlordane by the previous owner. According to the termite inspector, it was great stuff, and perfectly safe when applied responsibly. The problem was that bozos were hosing everything down with it willy nilly, and it got a bad rap. As long as you don't ingest it, you should be fine. It's been illegal for a LONG time, so whatever is left is soaked into any wood. A good washing & a coat of paint, and you should be fine.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

Well, I feel better now. Maybe this explains some of my bizarre behaviors ..........

Once, when I rented a farm in Louisiana, the farmer brought me a quart jar of white granules. He said, put about four or five of these granules on each fire ant hill. The hills looked like termite mounds. He said he only had a little let, so use if sparingly. I'd apply, and in two days, the hill was dead. Gigazillions of fire ants there. Nasty creatures.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Libertarian cats. Who knew!

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

What labeling was on the container? Our containers could have been used as unventilated Afghan prisons, we have no idea where they came from or what pesticides were used on them.

Reply to
ATP*