Clean welding

It's a photo-op. They never do real stuff in a photo-op. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

She was hot in 1942 - would she even still be alive?

BTW, I just found out this weekend that Julia Child passed away in 2004. )-;

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

"Is it hot, Rich?"

Nah, it just don't take long for me to look at a hatchet head. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

She very well might be, from life expectancy tables and such. Two of my grandmothers were of such age in 1942, also rather hot, and are still around.

Ignoramus28480

Given the relative sizes of the material shes working on and the wire in her hand, And how soft the filler wire appears to be, I'm guessing she's actually brazing.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Wheaton

There was a show on Modern Marvels just the other night that was on axes hatchets and such. One part was on a modern maker, and his stuff looked like this guys.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

On small stuff, yes. TIG torches are held like a pencil a lot of the time.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Yeah , but are they still hot ?

Reply to
Snag

This says July 1942. Six months after Pearl Harbor. A short time span, really, and wonder if the production and skills was up to what the photo wanted to portray.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Willow Run didn't produce a B-24 until July 1942, and that one was assembled somewhere else. The first B-24 didn't fly from Willow Run until September 1942. There was a lot of favorable (and inaccurate) press about Willow Run in early '42.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

I do also hold my AW10 torch like a pencil. And soft, very light kevlar hose makes it very comfortable.

Reply to
Sergey Kubushin

Based upon the brightness of the tube she is welding, the flux on the table, and the apperance of the test welded tube below it, I believe the lady is gas-welding aluminum. Pretty good "semi-skills".

Reply to
Stupendous Man