CNC Plasma Cutting Rigs

I am nearing a windfall that will take me into my next phase of life. I have bought rural property, and will be building a welding/mechanic/machining facility there within a year.

I am interested in purchasing a CNC plasma cutting rig. I am leaning towards the PlasmaCam because of the steel construction of the frame, recommendations here, and overall presentation of the product.

It looks like this is going to be $10,000 for just the CNC cutter, not including the torch or computer. I know I will go with a HyperTherm plasma cutter.

I would like to know if any of you have any experience or knowledge of the following:

PlasmaCam Dynatorch Torchmate MultiCam

Info and input appreciated. When I do spring for one of these units, I want to feel like I'm buying the best one. And I mean best as in most reliable, parts availability, ease of operation, finished products, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Steve B wrote:

Reply to
svande48

There is a Yahoo group dedicated to CNC Plasma cutting. Many of the people seem to be in business with their plasma cutters. There are also a couple of factory people from Hypertherm (I think) that hang out there. They should have the answers you are looking for in the messages. It's a good group.

Good Luck, Bob

Reply to
MetalHead

"MetalHead" wrote

Is there any way I can just get the newsgroup and not have all that Yahoo stuff that they bundle with it?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I read the newsgroups thru Outlook Express

Richard

Reply to
AMW

Do you have the name? I look under plasma cutting, and don't see anything.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

try "plasmacutting"

Ignoramus23532

Nothing there either. Did find machinescnc

Reply to
Steve B

I joined that group a while ago, here's my welcome email. I replaced @ sign with AT.

Hello,

Welcome to the plasmacutting group at Yahoo! Groups, a free, easy-to-use email group service. Please take a moment to review this message.

To learn more about the plasmacutting group, please visit

To start sending messages to members of this group, simply send email to plasmacuttingATyahoogroups.com

If you do not wish to belong to plasmacutting, you may unsubscribe by sending an email to plasmacutting-unsubscribeATyahoogroups.com

To see and modify all of your groups, go to

Ignoramus23532

My mistake, I thought you were asking about the welding NG

Reply to
AMW

Thanks, iggy. Yer a jewel.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

It looks like you don't have to join to read the messages.

Sorry I couldn't get back to you earlier, I don't have usenet access at work.

Bob

Reply to
MetalHead

"MetalHead" wrote

Yep. I wound my way through the tape and managed to join. Am looking forward to a wealth of information. Guess no one here does CNC plasma, huh?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Steve

I have a PlasmaCam w/ a hypertherm 350. After a learning curve it works well. I only use it for 1/4" or less (until I upgrade the plasma cutter) I have cut steel, alum, copper, and stainless. All cut differently depending on thickness and the complexity of the tool path. The software was very easy to learn and makes it easy to extract an cut path from just about any digital image. It also imports and exports different file types, a nice feature if people want to send you files. The machine is not as robust as it appears in the pictures, it depends on engineering for strength as opposed to bulk. That said I have not had any problems with it but I don't load it with 3/4" plate either. Plasma Cam builds things in a proprietary manner i.e.: you could spend lots of time trying to find the industrial equal or you can buy parts from them. I have not needed any parts, most people need belts buy now.(machine is about 3 yrs old due to a move it has only been in use about 1 yr) In addition to needing a Pc you will also need a good air compressor (the oilless craftsmen won't cut it for long) air filters I have

3 1 general h2o 1 oil and a desiccant type dryer,, together they make a big difference in cut quality and consumable life. The other big thing you need to figure out is ventilation. the dust is bad for your lungs, some materials the dust is toxic. Some people use a water table, some a vent fan, some both. You can vent the dust outside or you can collect it. It all depends on how much you want to spend and how close your neighbors are (state laws concerning air quality can play a role too). Their is a yahoo group PIGINFO its all about plasmacams I have not been there in a while but you used to be able to read the posts with out joining. The group would not answer pre buy question. Overall Its a good machine for me (one man shop once in a while 2-3 helpers) If at some point I need more capacity I'll probably build the next one as I'm better equipped now.

I'm out of town for the next day but I'll be back around on Sat. Let me know if I can help.

Andrew

Reply to
AndrewV

Guess no one here does CNC plasma, huh?

I do and this would of saved me some problems. If you want a THC that works correctly you might to read up at these sites. The reason I stated the dyna machine is it is the highest quality machine in the plasmacam price range.

Pay attention and read everything there is and then make your pick. I deal with these guys all the time and you will not find better people. I will start out with some of Tom's stuff. He makes the THC that I have and DynaCNC is now using. You can download all the software from Corel 13 to SheetCam to Mach 3 before you buy. You will know exactly what you are getting. The dyna table itself is ten times a plasmacam in terms of quality.

?yguid=82702294
?yguid=82702294
?yguid=82702294

svande48