computer question

Well, I can't figure it out, so I will ask youse guys .........
When I bring up my home page, or ebay, or lots of sites, the pictures look
like mosaics. They are recognizable, but appear as small chunks, like a
mosaic.
I went to control panel - display - and went through the stuff there about
the drivers and updating. It said it had the latest driver, and that it was
functioning properly.
Well, it isn't.
Am I missing something simple, or is my video card shot?
Steve
Reply to
SteveB
Your web accelerator is whacking chunks out of the pictures. That is how they "speed things up".
Reply to
Glenn
Well, how do I make it stop?
It was working fine a couple of weeks ago. The resolution is terrible, and I can't see ebay pics very clearly.
I am on a cable modem.
Steve
Reply to
SteveB
Steve, on your desktop, put the mouse in some open space and right click it. Then select "properties"... when that window comes up, select "Settings" (I'm using XP - Your version may be different) and look for a slider bar that controls the resolution. If the resolution is too low, like I think it is, bump it up. I'm running 1024 x 768 and see things real well.
I don't know anything about web accellerators, but it sounds feasible.... photos and drawings are what take the most time to download, so if the accelerator is trying to speed things up, it makes these get real small first.
Hope this helps. Sometimes, updates or new programs we add may change the resolution without even asking you... and you end up with what you have. r/ Steve
Reply to
GreenGas
The web software might have set a setting - like 2Mb cache when you have 1 or some such as well. Look at the settings and see if they work. Typically when you make a change it allows a temp change and test. Martin Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH, NRA Life NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder
GreenGas wrote:
Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn
What type computer are you running and what web browser? AOhelL used to have a thing like that. You probably got a "free" web accelerator dumped into the works without you knowing. If you are running XP do a go back to just before the problem started or figure out what has been added. Try checking on PC hell for ideas.

Glenn
Um Guys,
Steve said he is on a cable modem, so I kinda doubt that he is using a web accelerator. If so, I doubt he needs one.....
I think the screen resolution is set too low, or the vid card is whacked......
HTH
Jeff
Reply to
Never_Enough_Tools
Only thing I did was put in a new power supply to replace the howling shreiking previous one. It started right after that. All connections good.
Called Cox, and they deny any changes in my cable modem config, or upstream components.
Going out of town, will play with it on return, and let you know when and if I fix it.
Steve
Reply to
SteveB