sw2008 on xp64 - File selection

Got a new machine last month and all went well with the install of sw2008 64bit on the xp64 OS

However I have now suddenly found that when selecting the File menu - the computer sticks for 30 seconds before opening the menu.

Have installed the SW recommended Nvidia driver (quadro fx550 - cheepskate card ;-) )- as the installed one did not work well - alot of ghosted lines. I have a hunch it is this , as the whole top menu system seems very "jerky" but anyone seen similar?

Anyone with any clues as to where I should poke about in the settings?

Regards

Jonathan

Reply to
jjs

I had a similar problem on a Core2 Quad running XP64. A bios update from the Intel site cured it.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Thanks for that John - it is a Dell quad core mahine - never thought to think it was the BIOS - I'll get onto Dell ASAP

Reply to
jjs

Just a thought, and I don't know if this could even be the culprit or not, but have you checked your file locations, and/or backup locations to see that everything is correct there? I know that the recent files are listed under the file menu. So if something is wrong with your file locations, maybe that's got something to do with it.

Seth

Reply to
Seth Renigar

WJohn and Seth

- tried dell and I have the latest Bios - so I chickened out of tampering.

Checked my file paths - all seems well

Saw on the SW site that Nvidia have a newer driver out - but its not yet certified for my card - but have given it a shot and it certainly improves things - not quite as slick as when using other software- I think the fly out FILE, VIEW, INSERT..... " menu in SW is some sort of overlay implementation that obviously is driver sensitive.

162.50_quadro_winxp64_english_whql.exe

Jonathan

Reply to
jjs