Copper/ Bronze thermit: was: Something very odd on Ebay

I think that Thermit gets a whole lot hotter that 2,000 F. BTW, there are

> lots of ways to formulate Thermit. Aluminum will reduce many, many metallic > oxides yielding a pool of molten metal, be it Nickel, Chromium, Silver, > Cobalt, whatever. I've often wondered if you could obtain decent alloys this > way, by mixing say 80% Copper Oxide with 20% Tin Oxide, balance it out for > the Oxygen with Aluminum powder, and you "should" get bell bronze when you > burn it.

I've just seen this five year thread; this is the first time I've visited his group, and Google won't let me reply to a post that old. If it's of any interest, there was, and probably still is, a process for attaching track circuit bonds to rail ends using a thermit-like process, which produced some sort of copper/bronze metal. I don't know the composition of either the mixture used, or the metal produced. This process was quite common at one time, especially on third-rail electrified lines, where very heavy bonds had to be used, as they carried not only the track circuit current, but also the traction return current, but the need for such bonds has been much reduced by the use of continuous welded rail.

Reply to
furles

I think that you are talking abut the "thermo weld" process which uses a powdered mix of copper oxide and aluminum to make electrical joins. I believe that Mc masters Carr sell the kits. If not have a look at

Bruce-in-Bangkok (Note:remove underscores from address for reply)

Reply to
Bruce in Bangkok

I sold a bunch of such copper joining compounds under brand name Cadweld.

Ignoramus29173

That was also one of the trade names for the stuff. We used it mainly for making permanent joins to ground rods so that you could drive the rods and sorta forget them. the mechanical clamps tend to corrode in jungle climates.