curio question aluminum

on aluminum their is numbers ect is thier any signifiance on the colour of coding a guy said it has too do with age of the material eg 1980's 1990's? anyboby know "ernie?" lol :)

Reply to
rodney johnson

Color coding is up to each Mill or distributor as to how they code the materiels for handling.

The numbers on the aluminum tell you everything you need to know.

Do you have a question about the numbers?

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I have a related question, Is there a temp where diecast aluminum becomes soft enough to bend? I have a motorcycle brake lever that needs a bit of adjustment. I have taken 75 year old white metal parts, heated them to 450F and bent them back into shape by hand, but thats a zinc alloy.

Reply to
Paul Calman

A very scary proposition. There are way too many possible cast aluminum alloys to be able to say what temp would affect your casting.

Most cast aluminums do not like being bent ever.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

welding up some 1/8th 6061 piping tiging to some 1 inch thick flange bases bottom 1/2 in on the top pieces and every. one cracks just above the weld, trying to keep the heat off that pipe wash it over and using 1/8 filler 5356 zircion 5/32 just with argon usally stuff shoving it in, but once it cracks it becomes a hell of job to get to stop cracking put any melting heat near it and then cracks all over spider and fractures has to be blended so it does not look like a mess, its been washed and put into an oven at 500f, looks like new stuff, but the lettering is black in colour, so i was wondering if it was old stock or recycled stuff, thier is no dirt in the weld, arc wash was at 8 so i turned it to 6 same results tired to keep the heat down, that bottom base needs alot of heat to get going, so I was putting a big starting fill as I'm heating the base up, it seemed to help with the crack there and go fairly fast to reduce the amount of heat build up, but every one ends up cracking, grind the crack right out put a weld in and it will crack just above it or below it, somtimes the crack will travell for 3 or 4 inches more, sometime it just spiders out. I did some last month but they used rolled sheets 6061 no problems at all, so what i end up doing is building up a weld and trying to push the puddle out with out the heat touching the pipe, thier wont be a crack on top but it will crack on the inside, any suggestions ?

"Ernie Leimkuhler" wrote in message news:170820040022226497% snipped-for-privacy@stagesmith.com...

Reply to
rodney johnson