E-mail from Microsoft

Well..first of all..most of the Something Elses, dont have the vulnerabilities of OE..but thats just fine with me. Id rather have folks like you hanging your asses out as a fine target, keeping the script kiddies occupied, than trying to get through the few if any vulnerabilities in real Something Elses.

Having you folks out there as a nice big fat target means they arent going to be going after the rest of us.

"this is the reason aircraft carriers are known as bomb magnets"

Gunner

"Anyone who cannot cope with firearms is not fully human. At best he is a tolerable subhuman who has learned to wear shoes, bathe and not make messes in the house." With appologies to RAH..

Reply to
Gunner

don't have the vulnerabilities, or they haven't been discovered because it's not practical to search them out due to low numbers in use ?

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

Thanks for finally some real words of wisdom.

MS isn't totally blamefree but in their well-intended quest to make computers easy to use it has also made it easy for morons to take advantage of it. Billh

Reply to
billh

It seems to me that you are not a programmer. The problem is that micro$oft has (had) a lot of open ports, allowing for example vbs (visual basic scrit) or active-x in emails. The -virus vas a typical vbs-virus: what you need vbs in an email program for? For *absolutely* nothing. So the problem is there: why build in functionalitites that have no use and a lot of harm potential? Why making default settings that are unsafe? That's the reason almost all viruses of the last few years are for micro$oft outlook o ie. For one security hole in the other programs you have hundres security holes in outlook/ie. The other programs like netscape/mozilla/eudora/opera.... *are* safer.

Reply to
Reto

Hi

What i noticed was that the day after the BBC made a news report on how easy it is to send an email virus, i noticed that i had 50% of my junk email had a virus in it, now that is an example of where the BBC thinmk they are being the good samaritan, but don't actually notice it causing more trouble.

Dan

D wrote:

Reply to
Danny

While true to some extent...how many Mac viruses are there? Linux? Eudora is one of the most popular email clients out there. Found a virus yet that targets Eudora?

Denial is not a river in Egypt. Keep what you have..it works for me. Being a nice dumb fat vulnerable target for the script kiddies keeps the pressure off the rest of us.

Gunner

"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather, because it is easier to harrass rich women than it is motorcycle gangs." - Bumper Sticker

Reply to
Gunner

8 >Oh, purleese.

Yawn, another self righteous Agent user. I hope that's not your real email address 'hanging it ass' out.

Reply to
mb

Eudora is a low numbered software? ROFLMAO.

Think again..do the research..get back to me, ok?

Denial..is not a river in Egypt.

Target.

Gunner

"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather, because it is easier to harrass rich women than it is motorcycle gangs." - Bumper Sticker

Reply to
Gunner

Yup, its my real email addy. Why shouldnt it be? I dont run vulnerable software, so malware is not an issue. The only concern I have security wise, is a denial of service attack, and I have alternate email addys for that event.

Chuckle..I may hang my ass out there..but I wear kevlar undies.

Gunner

"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather, because it is easier to harrass rich women than it is motorcycle gangs." - Bumper Sticker

Reply to
Gunner

what part of 'most of something else' can you not understand, since YOU said it ?

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

my only contribution to this little flame war is to say that the reason that the virus writers target outlook and IE is because they have the largest security holes. They, unlike the other clients you mention, will automatically run programs that come in as attachments to Email or web pages without warning the user, or without asking the user if they should. ONe can turn this off, but, it is not easy or obvious enough that most folks can and will do it. Regards Dave Mundt

Reply to
Dave Mundt

it's neither difficult or non-obvious

it's right there under 'Tools', 'options' , 'read' and 'security'

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

Huh?

Gunner

"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather, because it is easier to harrass rich women than it is motorcycle gangs." - Bumper Sticker

Reply to
Gunner

You must be one of those folks who thought that making a command really easy to remember under MS-DOS was choosing a key combination like CTL-ALT-Shift-F10.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Don't want to get into the contest on outlook and sorry to post this on this site, but I am getting the same problem with my yahoo mail, from what it looks like it coming from microsoft to the tone of 10 to

15 a day, so please inform on how NOT to have this problem. It seems to be the same problem as posted above, good luck guys.
Reply to
pedro

Another misinformed viewer.

The reason virus writers focus on Microsoft is that most people are running MS Operating systems. If, overnight, we all switched to something else, they'd focus on that. You really don't know what you're talking about if you think nothing else is vulnerable.

Reply to
Larry Bud

However, the author of the referenced guide has this to say:

"I do believe that free software is superior, at least in regard to security. And I strongly oppose the argument that Linux viruses will flourish once it reaches a critical mass of popularity. On the contrary I question the credibility of people whose income relies on widespread use of ridiculously insecure operating systems."

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

'I do believe'.........'I strongly oppose'.........'I question'.......

sounds like another self-proclaimed 'expert' who thinks his beliefs, oppositions, and questions constitute fact...........

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

And the facts are?

Perhaps reading the referenced guide would clear up the authors credentials. He does spell it out very clearly.

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

You are completely misinformed re the level of computer literacy of the average Windoze user. I have a college educated sister-in-law who finds it too complicated to send me messages that she prepared in Word in plain ASCII and that requires even fewer extra keystrokes. Nor is she unique amoung people I know.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards