ER80S-B2 tig and mig question

I am considering welding chromoly and from my understanding it is necessary to use ER80S-B2 filler material. I was wondering since you can purchase it in a spool mig wire form as well as filler rods. What differences (if any) are there (besides cosmetics) would there be from the two welding processes.

Reply to
<hoalliy

MIG welding it WOULD require a post weld heat treat, because it is such a fast process. TIG is slower and lower heat so the thermal shock is much lower.

The wire would be identical in either form. I like to buy small 2 lbs spoolgun spools for really tiny wires. They are easier to deal with than 36" lengths of 0.024" wire.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

MIG welding it WOULD require a post weld heat treat, because it is such a fast process. TIG is slower and lower heat so the thermal shock is much lower.

"The wire would be identical in either form. I like to buy small 2 lbs spoolgun spools for really tiny wires. They are easier to deal with than 36" lengths of 0.024" wire."

Where are you purchasing your thin material from? I don't believe I have seen it go down to .024 in ER80S-B2. Good idea on using the spooled wire...I wonder from a cost perspective how much less expensive/more expensive it it..

Reply to
<hoalliy

These guys sell it down to 0.030"

Ernie Leimkuhler